Front Wheel bearing replacement on 4th Gen 4R? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody ever replace the front wheel bearing on their 4th gen 4Runner (or GX470/460, or FJ Cruiser, or '05-'18 Tacoma)? In researching it, it appears that Mr. T only sells the bearing or the hub separately, but they are pressed together in their installed state. I saw some aftermarket options where you can buy the hub/bearing as a set and it comes with the o-ring and seal but I'm hesitant to buy the aftermarket stuff. Maybe just remove the pressed together assembly and take it along with the new bearing assy to a local shop that can remove and then press together the new bearing with the old hub?

Bearing Only

Hub/Bearing Assy

Last edited:
I can't answer the detail of the Gen4 axle wheel bearings, and how they are changed out. I can say if you try to tackle this job I have the SST.

I used these about four years ago? Still in great shape and easy install.

I can't answer the detail of the Gen4 axle wheel bearings, and how they are changed out. I can say if you try to tackle this job I have the SST.
SST for what purpose?

Wait, are you talking about the front bearings, or the rear. My tool is for the rear.
Yeah, front. I suppose I could have actually stated that in my title and original post.

Marc

You can do this project in one of two ways: get your own high quality bearing then press out the old, press in the new one. I bought Timken bearings and went this route.

The second way is to buy a completely assembled bearing+Dorman hub from a guy that sells them through the usual 4runner/Taco forum. This fellar uses good quality bearings from what I've read. This would be the easiest way.

Figure on about an hour per side, at most.

Marc

You can do this project in one of two ways: get your own high quality bearing then press out the old, press in the new one. I bought Timken bearings and went this route.

The second way is to buy a completely assembled bearing+Dorman hub from a guy that sells them through the usual 4runner/Taco forum. This fellar uses good quality bearings from what I've read. This would be the easiest way.

My thought at the moment is to buy a Beck/Arnley or Dorman hub/bearing assembly from Rock Auto for ~$100 to replace the bad one. That makes it so the car is not out of service for an extended period of time. Then I have a spare hub that I can get pressed on to new high quality bearings for future replacements ahead of time and make swaps fast and easy in the future as well.

My thought at the moment is to buy a Beck/Arnley or Dorman hub/bearing assembly from Rock Auto for ~$100 to replace the bad one. That makes it so the car is not out of service for an extended period of time. Then I have a spare hub that I can get pressed on to new high quality bearings for future replacements ahead of time and make swaps fast and easy in the future as well.
I bought the Hub and bearing already assembled from Pitbull bearings. They offer of the doorman Hub with the coil bearings for a good price. I wouldn't go cheap on bearings.

He meant Koyo bearings 😁

Marc

If it is the same guy, BamaToy was part of his handle. I thought he was buying TGPs and offering them as a full assembly.

I just recently bought new wheel bearings from Toyota, with the club discount it came out to 159 a piece for the front 4th gen wheel bearings.

16303514174591081025032616581145.jpg

This diagram appears to show the parts for a 2WD 4Runner.

This diagram appears to show the parts for a 2WD 4Runner.
It does kind of look like that but this was what pulled up for the 4x4 bearing, I ended up getting a full hub bearing assembly from ebay, they come with koyo bearings so well see how they handle

Both 2 and 4wd have the same wheel bearings and maybe even the same hubs. 2wd has a blocking plate that closes up the splined hubs where the front axle goes through. This is a slight WAG on my part. 😁

I haven't seen one in person but when you look at pictures on Rock Auto you can see that there is a nut that retains the hub on the back side of the bearing on the 2Wd versions and the whole back end is covered with a dust seal/cap

I haven't seen one in person but when you look at pictures on Rock Auto you can see that there is a nut that retains the hub on the back side of the bearing on the 2Wd versions and the whole back end is covered with a dust seal/cap
I do remember seeing that on my first 4runner which was a 2wd

Wait, are you talking about the front bearings, or the rear. My tool is for the rear.
Im replacing the front wheel hub assembly this weekend. Have you replaced the rear wheel bearing on a GX470? I’ve had mine for a year. It currently has 195000 miles. I don’t think I have any issues with mine. Just wondering what the life expectancy is and how difficult they are to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom