Front wheel bearing loose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just came back from the Toyota dealer to perform an alignment and the dealer is telling me the passenger side front bearing is a little loose. They cant do the alignment until the bearing is repacked at a whopping $399. Dealer tells me the whole front end has to be replaced. Is it that complicated to do? Can an alignment be done without tightening/repacking the bearing? I have an 02 LC with 57k miles. Seems rather high for a bearing repack.

that's funny. I remember some time after we got the 100 (maybe around 75K), I noticed some play in the wheel. Went to the dealer since we had the extended insurance and the monkey in charge up front proceeded to tell me that these bearings can't be repacked etc. On and on. After I asked him 3x if he was sure, I just had no choice but to pull out the copy of the FSM page I had made with all the exploded view, torque etc... :D

well, obviously if the wheel is flopping about, your alignment measurements won't be so great. That part I buy.

Very easy to do with one or 2 $20 tools.

They're hosing you. Typical dealer cost is about $200 for both wheels being repacked. Mine have been done 3 times and still the original bearing are there. Bull!

Shame on them. $399 to pack a wheel bearing is absolute robbery. Find a local Cruiserhead that has the tools, have them give you a hand, it really easy.

It should be an hour of shop time and a few parts. I could see $150-$200 or so, but $400 is pretty high. Are they doing both sides? If so, it's not totally out of line, and dealing with the cone washers is no fun. Be ready for sticker shock if they find your spindle is worn due to the loose bearings.

$400 doesn't sound that outlandish to me. Parts with all bears could be close to $100 and then 3-4 hours of labor. You've got to remember that most dealerships shop rates are up close to a c-note per hour. Not saying I'd pay that, just that it's possible.

If your bearing is indeed loose, you can check it very easily. Jack up the tire, grab it at 6 and 12, and try to rock it back and forth. If you've got much play, the hub nuts need to be tightened. Tightening the hub nuts is very easy, repacking the bearings is more difficult, replacing the bearings just slightly more.

It should be an hour of shop time and a few parts. I could see $150-$200 or so, but $400 is pretty high. Are they doing both sides? If so, it's not totally out of line, and dealing with the cone washers is no fun. Be ready for sticker shock if they find your spindle is worn due to the loose bearings.

No only front right. If its both side I can understand. But some how I feel that its a rip off because the dealer is telling me I need rear pads replaced at a tune of $269 for pads, shims and resurfacing the rotors. I declined the service and the advisor didn't look too happy. Does anyone know what size tool I need for the hub nut? The manual says 30mm but I read in the forum somewhere for 54mm? Thanks for all your replies.

it's 54mm , 2 1/8 got mine on amozon.com

make sure you get a pretty deep 54mm socket. I got one at northern tool that wasnt deep enough. Or you can rent for free at some autoparts stores. I rented one that was a 55mm, but it worked fine. Do a search for a front rotor replacement write up to find the torque specs. Very simple job.

you could replace the rear pads AND install NEW rotors for less than $269.00 yourself. The rears are a piece of cake.

you could replace the rear pads AND install NEW rotors for less than $269.00 yourself. The rears are a piece of cake.

I bought new rear pads from 1st toyota parts from Washington and it came out to $65 with shipping. PO replaced the rear pads with an aftermarket and the idiot forgot to replace the shims. So I ordered new set from a local toyota dealer for $30. They wanted $40 but I talked them down a bit. Yes the rears pads are easy to do. Parts alone cost less than $100 and the rotors do not look like it needs to be resurfaced.

Alright, I finally did it. I went to sears and got the hub socket for $20 and decided to tackle the bearing myself. I will list the procedure if I still remember but it was pretty simple. Thanks for all your help guys.

List the procedure please. I think mine need some attention. Thanks, Dan.:bounce:

with out starting a new thread..... I was just quoted $1500 for front wheel bearing replacement..seems a bit crazy right?
image.jpg

That is why you don't use dealerships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom