Front vs rear rotor issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Basically to put it quickly, what does a warped rear rotor feel like? Can it cause steering issues like a front?

Contrary to what is commonly believed, rotors rarely warp. Pulsing is usually caused by a buildup of brake pad material, often caused by overheating the rotor and then stopping, some of the pad material transfers onto the rotor in one spot. Turning the rotor would fix it, but so would 'bedding' the pads. I don't think this is common on rear rotors since they don't do much work. To warp one, you'd probably have to overheat it and then quench it. That's just my guess though. I couldn't tell you what it would feel like as I've never experienced it.

I think -Spike- called it about right, not warped, most likely, but could be other things like a bad caliper, etc.

In any case if it's bad enough to cause steering issues, it's probably hot enough for you to be saying, "Gotta fix that."

feel like the steering wheel wiggles back and forth in your hands as you brake. The worse it is the more it aggressively it wiggles. As it worsens you begin to feel it in the pedal and the car will shake

Smokingrocks, that is what it feels like when the rear are bad? Because that is definitely what is happening. I am used to that feeling when my fronts go.

The rotors are bright and shiny so I find it hard to believe it is a buildup. In the past I have always just replaced them or turned them when this happens. But they are not radially scarred. They look pretty good so that is why I thought they are getting worn. Not warped, just unevenly worn.

Agreed with @-Spike-

There's been times when I've had a shudder in brakes on various cars. Usually felt as a pulsating pedal first, shudder through the steering, and when really bad, a shudder through the whole car.

Some hard stops in quick succession often helps get some heat in rotors and re-bed the pads and get rid of a shudder.
I'm talking 50-60mph, hard stop, return to 50-60, hard stop, repeat half a dozen times.

A stuck e-brake can cause a shudder or vibration in the rear.

I experienced that with the loose bearings. Scared the crap out of me when I realized what it was. It is a little different feeling and luckily I know what that is now. But you all are describing what I would have imagined with a rear rotor issue. Mine is more likely the front. I guess I could try some techniques to clean up the pads/rotors. They are OEM and relatively new. That and probably a combo of a 2.5” lift and 285’s that we’re put on at the same time. But it was balanced as best as possible and aligned so I have just come down to rotors for whatever reason. I have some new ones on the way just in case. But I need to find out what might have caused this with new rotors. I rebuilt the calipers too. Maybe there is a problem there. Could be stuck.

Agreed with @-Spike-

There's been times when I've had a shudder in brakes on various cars. Usually felt as a pulsating pedal first, shudder through the steering, and when really bad, a shudder through the whole car.

Some hard stops in quick succession often helps get some heat in rotors and re-bed the pads and get rid of a shudder.
I'm talking 50-60mph, hard stop, return to 50-60, hard stop, repeat half a dozen times.

A stuck e-brake can cause a shudder or vibration in the rear.

Hard almost stop.... Let it keep rolling as to avoid pad buildup on the rotors again .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom