Front Toyota 9.5 vs Dana 50 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a second FJ55 as a body donor, and want to take my rusted out body, throw it on that, and make it a rock crawler. I recently inquired about a set of Dana 50/Sterling 10.5 from a F250, for $300. either way I go (knuckle swap/longfields vs built dana 50) i'm building out the axles. both axles are 30 spline, toyota axle is a 9.5" gear, Dana is a 9" gear. Tire size is TBD, but probably closer to a 37". what would you do?

The 50 has a bigger pinion however the 1.5 axles neck down to 1.3 right at the diff. If your going to lock the front that would givethe opportunity to go with a larger side gear and get rid of the neck down inners. It appears the 50 shaft is 1.5 thru the seal & bearing so the restricting factor seems to be the carrier side gears.

Last edited:
The 50 has a bigger pinion however the 1.5 axles neck down to 1.3 right at the diff. If your going to lock the front that would givethe opportunity to go with a larger side gear and get rid of the neck down inners.

Can you easily swap out the 50 gears for 60 gears? I thought the pinion was smaller on the 50 vs the 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom