front tow hooks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
Do the front tow hooks on a 200 Series really need to be upgraded ? I see the ARB ones are available.

I know better to have and not use than need to use and not have.

Thanks

My understanding is that the factory items are tie down hooks, not recovery rated.

I’d like to see a reference for that.

Toyota has a long history of putting recovery hooks & loops on their 4x4 vehicles and the modern landcruiser should be no exception.

That’s not to say something better can’t be added.. but with this history I wouldn’t think twice about using the factory hooks for a proper vehicle recovery.

I don't have any expertise, and am just parroting what I've read and heard on videos.

It may just be marketing BS by people trying to sell recovery points, or maybe they are referring to other vehicles than the land cruiser.

Here's one example: Rated recovery points explained

A rated recovery point, designed specifically to withstand the forces generated during this procedure, is the only way to ensure optimum safety, as ARB’s Steve Sampson explained.​
“In terms of the OE tie-down points, they’ve been designed to secure a vehicle when it’s being shipped/transported from Thailand/Japan or wherever it has been manufactured through to Australia,” he said. “So they haven’t had any sort of rating for, say, any sort of additional load which may be placed on them – like if they were to be placed under some sort of snatch recovery or a winch load.​
“So the difference between that and a rated recovery point is the rated recovery point has been designed, tested and developed so it can sustain any sort of additional load if it was having any sort of snatch recovery or winch load placed onto it.”​

Last edited:
The factory ones sure looked sturdy to me .. but I went and swamped mine out for the ARB ones.

The ARB ones have corners that are a bit sharp. I prefer fabric shackles. I would get tow hooks from Trail Tailor instead, as his are already rounded over so they are compatible with fabric shackles.

I think Jason has two versions, when I was shopping for recovery points, I looked at his. There was a drop down on the ordering page where you select whether you want one for soft shackles or regular shackles.

The fronts at Trail Tailor have been out of stock for a while.

ARBs are shaped like they are to make them a true upgrade. The long/straight format keeps the plane the forces are acting on as close to the mounting surface as possible. This places the system in shear and uses the bolts the best way they can.. it uses the clamping force of the bolts to make a ton of friction that a recovery has to overcome to pull it loose. No weird leverage putting one bolt in tension. Plus the slot instead of hole allowing you to feed the shackle bow through and permit much better shackle loading during off-angle recoveries.

They are a nice part, but IMO their blanket statement that factory hooks are for tie-down only is just that. A blanket statement. I don’t believe Toyota would sell a landcruiser without at least adequate recovery hooks. That doesn’t mean they can’t be improved on.. but I don’t plan on it personally.

1585752476130.png

My owner's manual refers to them as towing hooks.

I did swap for the TT one's though, they are total beefcake.

My LX came with both, tie downs and recovery hooks from factory. I remove them to install a bar but install them back when I go offroading.

View attachment 2256484

My owner's manual refers to them as towing hooks.

I did swap for the TT one's though, they are total beefcake.

I guess a distinction could be made between “tow” and “recovery” hooks, if we look at the forces involved.

I don’t doubt that the aftermarket stuff is stronger, and personally like that ARB went to the effort of rating theirs. Thing is.. if we are using them properly.. stuff like a snatch strap instead of chain.. the forces should stay low enough to prevent failure.

Any engineers here want to look at the stock hooks and calculate the force needed to cause problems?

Not going to help conversation but here goes. The factory tow hook mounts to frame rail. If aftermarket tow hook mounts same way as factory one does that makes only the hook the weak point, that seems off. If aftermarket tow hook provides overall new design for mounting then I might be inclined to believe it is better overall tow hook. I think I will save my tow hook money for gas and go places.

IMHO, i rather spend money elsewhere.

I had a 4runner years ago...the tow hooks are fine for emergency. And the LC's tow hooks look beefy enough from factory.

How about Tundra hooks? They look stronger than LC OEM hooks.

I like the Tundra hooks.

Here are the stock LC200 front tow hooks:
LC200Hooks_15JUN15_zpsd0qaqppb.jpg

Here are the Tundra tow hooks powdercoated red, of course:
TundraLC200Hooks_15JUN15_zpstjli3bux.jpg

Guess which one is the stock part:
LC200TundraHooks_15JUN15_zps6geu6w7r.jpg

Understated elegance:
LC200NewHooks_15JUN15_zpsskiw9qrn.jpg

HTH

Could be wrong, but it doesn't look like the bolt/vehicle interface is much stronger. And the bolts anchoring the hook to the vehicle don't change. Would be very interested in seeing these actually tested to failure, as I bet the values would be similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom