Front sway bar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I checked my suspension yesterday to make sure all is well before I wreck it at Katemcy. I found one problem that I can't explain. There is a very long bolt with several bushings right behind the two front wheels toward the back of the knuckles. These connect one long bar that goes from each side of the truck just in front of the front diff. Is this the front sway bar? On both sides I was not able to tighten the nuts completely down on the bolts. They were a little loose and I could jiggle the bar back and forth a bit. Does this need to be fixed? What about buying new bushings to solve the problem? Or is it a problem?

:cheers:

Benji

According to your description, yes, a sway bar. You don't say what vehicle this is but, regardless, the bushings you mention are not a big deal. You can pick up a new set of "link arms" with new bushings and nuts for cheap at any parts place like Autozone. Sway bars do nothing for straight line travel but tightening up the bushings (or new ones) will lower the amount of body roll you experience in corners. For off road many folks put on a "quick disconnect" of the link arms so they don't limit suspension travel.

Thanks guys. Yes, it is an 84 FJ60. Has anybody bought aftermarket link arms and bushings for the sway bar? I have some body roll, and I hope new ones will help for the commute each day.

Benji,

PM C-Dan and get a price for the OEM sway bar links for your rig. They're not too expensive and you'll be glad you did. They come with new bushings and all hardware needed to install.

I suggest the new ones since your bolts/nuts are probably corroded from being under there exposed to all the elements. The ones on my wife's FJ62 were pretty bad, but the new TPI 2.5" lift came with a new set of extended ones.

Good luck. You could probably get away with what you have at Katemcy this time. If you are looking to put a lift on anytime soon I'd wait and get them with the kit. Check out TPI Land Cruiser, their kit is 90% OME and only the springs themselves are not OME parts. I wouldn't hesitate to put their kit on again.

Jody.

Benji,

Just a note, I removed my front sway bar last week-end and didn't notice any concernable (is that a word??) difference in body role. My articulation was greatly improved however. My brothers 82 BJ60 never came with one.

I do have the rear sway bar so maybe that is the difference. With it undone there is considerable more body role. I don't know if anybody is making quick disconnects any more but it might be worth looking into. I am fabbing up a cheapset similiar to those commonly seen on jeeps. Oh and I am running a belton lift, so that may help as well.

Thanks Outback and Big_Blue,

I just order new OEM busings, bolts, and nuts from the Toyota dealer. Not bad price. I hope it helps with the body role, but with Big_Blue's note, it may not matter that much.

Does anyone know of a sway bar that can be installed on the rear end of an 84 FJ60 to eliminate some of this body role? I have new shocks recently installed, and would like to eliminate even more of the body role. Any suggestions?

Not the right place to post this but if anyone is wanting to get rid of their sway bar I'd like to have one. Thanks,
Rice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom