Front Suspension Dumb Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Within the last year, I've replaced all of the front suspension components and bushings with oem parts. When I installed the control arms (top and bottom) neither were done at ride height, which I didn't think would make much of a difference, but I've noticed my front end has been "squirrelly" ever since, kinda bouncy, not as controlled feeling, and I had to crank one torsion bar much more than the other to get equal ride heights also (might be un-related ,not sure).

Q1: Is it my imagination or do the control arms need to be installed at ride height in order for the suspension to behave appropriately?

Due to adding a hidden winch recently and maxing out the torsion bars, as well as planning to add sliders, I have a set of Ironman 4x4 torsion bars on the way, so I'm going to take the opportunity to loosen all the control arm bolts and retorque them with the tires on and everything at ride height this time.

Q2: Do I need to have the new torsion bars adjusted to desired height before I torque the rest of the control arm bolts?

Thanks

When you refreshed your front suspension, did you get an alignment? If so, the shop should have adjusted camber/toe/caster. Some shops don't do the caster. That's an important thing to get into spec, when it's too low the car will feel loose, like if you drive over a dip and it wants to turn or when your on the freeway and it doesn't feel stable at speed, like you want to hold the steering wheel tight.

Search the posts here for droop, need at least 2 3/8 inch. Crank the t-bars too far and lose steering control.
Check your droop, then take it in for alignment. Expect you will need to lower front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom