Front Suspension Arm Bush Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, just wondering what the amount of hrs of labour this would include on HDJ80R 1990 std height?

Kit Contains
  • 4 x Radius Arm Bushes
  • 2 x Leading Arm to Chassis Bushes
  • 2 x Panhard Rod Bushes

Hey everyone, just wondering what the amount of hrs of labour this would include on HDJ80R 1990 std height?

Kit Contains
  • 4 x Radius Arm Bushes
  • 2 x Leading Arm to Chassis Bushes
  • 2 x Panhard Rod Bushes

I just had these bushings replaced on my '97 at a shop down the road and it was a struggle for those guys. I pulled the arms off the truck and took them in. It took a torch and a 12 ton press to change out those bushings. I ended up giving them $250 but he said that didn't really cover the hours he had in it. Important note that I didn't catch until too late: the front panhard has slightly smaller bolt holes in the bushings than the rear panhard.

I just had these bushings replaced on my '97 at a shop down the road and it was a struggle for those guys. I pulled the arms off the truck and took them in. It took a torch and a 12 ton press to change out those bushings. I ended up giving them $250 but he said that didn't really cover the hours he had in it. Important note that I didn't catch until too late: the front panhard has slightly smaller bolt holes in the bushings than the rear panhard.
Thanks. :) I don't think mine have every been replaced since it came from factory, and my steering is really loose.

I recently had a shop quote me $1200 to replace all my bushings. He said it's such a pain in the booty that he would charge 30 minutes per bushing. I'm gonna buy the harbor freight 20 ton press and do it myself and I suspect it will take all day. I went all oem bushings, nuts and bolts and it was around $1200 in parts. Cost more than my new dobinsons stock height kit and big bore steering stabilizer. I am looking forward to changing them and never touching them again.
Cheers 🍻🤙

Just did mine with a 12 ton press. It's just enough press. On some of the bushings the press would spring, then I'd wack the top of of the press with BA dead blow hammer. That would get the bushing started. After that was no problem.

I recently had a shop quote me $1200 to replace all my bushings. He said it's such a pain in the booty that he would charge 30 minutes per bushing. I'm gonna buy the harbor freight 20 ton press and do it myself and I suspect it will take all day. I went all oem bushings, nuts and bolts and it was around $1200 in parts. Cost more than my new dobinsons stock height kit and big bore steering stabilizer. I am looking forward to changing them and never touching them again.
Cheers 🍻🤙
Buy your bushings and new hardware from Partsouq. You will save a BUNCH of money. I saved over $500 on all rubber parts VS domestic US.

You will need a 20 ton press.

You can pull one arm or rod at a time to do this. It took me two 12 hour Saturdays and about half of a Sunday to do mine. in my driveway.

I HIGHLY recommend buying the bushing press tools from Wits' End. They have a LOT of benefits that you don't realize until you're two bushings in and have screwed up the third one, realizing you're going to have to wait for parts again.

My 20T press had a couple that tested the limits of it. I would crank on it until I couldn't push the hydraulics anymore, then walk away for 15 minutes and do it again. Then hit it with a hammer on the outside of the arm and it would pop loose. It would pop so hard, my stack of plates, bushings, spacers would all blow apart and scatter all over the garage (or front step after I moved out there for better light)

Wear safety glasses, gloves, and steel toed boots (definitely not flip flops!) when doing this, as heavy parts jump all over ay unexpected moments!

Buy your bushings and new hardware from Partsouq. You will save a BUNCH of money. I saved over $500 on all rubber parts VS domestic US.

You can pull one arm or rod at a time to do this. It took me two 12 hour Saturdays and about half of a Sunday to do mine. in my driveway.

I HIGHLY recommend buying the bushing press tools from Wits' End. They have a LOT of benefits that you don't realize until you're two bushings in and have screwed up the third one, realizing you're going to have to wait for parts again.

My 20T press had a couple that tested the limits of it. I would crank on it until I couldn't push the hydraulics anymore, then walk away for 15 minutes and do it again. Then hit it with a hammer on the outside of the arm and it would pop loose. It would pop so hard, my stack of plates, bushings, spacers would all blow apart and scatter all over the garage (or front step after I moved out there for better light)

Wear safety glasses, gloves, and steel toed boots (definitely not flip flops!) when doing this, as heavy parts jump all over ay unexpected moments!
Thanks for the advice. I've got a box full of new OEM bushings for next weeks project. Fun.
Would freezing them help for the install?
Guess I'd better get a press, and the wits end kit, unless someone wants to sell me theirs...

To contain the carnage when the bushing breaks free, I put an open cardboard box full of packing peanuts underneath my HF 20-ton press.

Also, I concur with the recommendations to buy a bushing press kit (or make your own with tight tolerances if you have access to a lathe). I have no experience with the Wits' End bushing press kit, but I've heard nothing but good things about his products.

Cheers 🍻

Cheers 🍻🤙
Yeah I'm assuming it's not cheap.

Cheers 🍻🤙
Hey mate, I can buy all of the bushes OEM from online auto parts for $55.00

Cheers 🍻🤙
For the bushes mention in my post

Don't use aftermarket bushings, they're trash. Spend the money and get genuine ones.

From Toyota? What brand?
Yes, Toyota bushings, either from the dealer (likely $$$) or other parts suppliers. We sell genuine parts if you're interested.

We've not found anything else that lasts like a genuine bushing.

Yes, Toyota bushings, either from the dealer (likely $$$) or other parts suppliers. We sell genuine parts if you're interested.

We've not found anything else that lasts like a genuine bushing.
Screenshot_20210909-093715_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wear safety glasses, gloves, and steel toed boots (definitely not flip flops!) when doing this, as heavy parts jump all over ay unexpected moment
You may also want to buy one of these, I had no idea of what I was missing until I mounted this up. It paid for itself the first day! I also have a small metal brake for my press and it makes it a pleasure to work with!

1631144451547.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom