Front springs for diesel 40 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
You folks out there running B and H diesels in your 40’s. If you run OME front springs what level of springs are you choosing? Is there a engine weight difference between a B, H and 2F engine that should be considered? Shopping for springs there doesn’t seem to be diesel specific springs offered that I can tell.
I have reached out to Kurt at CO regarding this topic also and while waiting for his response I’m throwing the question out here also.

thanks

devo

I’m running OME heavies under my 45 with the 12HT. I am very happy with the stance and ride quality.

yes B series are lighter than 6 cyl gas or diesel. the B series engine was also shifted forward a bit presumably to reduce the effect of the shorter engine on weight distribution among other things. and I'd guess an H series to be a bit heavier engine than an F. Things you can adjust for with number of leafs in the spring pack fairly easily. and then there's winches and stuff to account for. probably why there arent diesel specific springs. FWIW the diesel bj40/2s I've seen with 2.5" springs do still tend to have a bit of a rake towards the front. There were also bigger spring eyes/bushings/pins in 81 model year.

@devo - I have a BJ40 with OME springs. No rake with a 2.5" lift. I'll check when I get to the house.

@devo sorry it took me so long. My 75 BJ40 has OME "2A19" leaf springs on the front. Not sure if that helps at all. I believe the PO told me that they were light duty, but I'm not certain.

As it turns out there are not specific springs offered by OME for the different diesels Or for the gassers. They are more or less designed to add or subtract leafs as needed.
Thanks Rusto. I was just delving into a curiosity!

devo

Just to add a bit of clarity to an old thread. OME does not differential between the B/H/F variants like they do on some other models for petrol vs diesel, etc.

That said, we do. There are 6 different front OME leaf springs for the 4x Series. We go through our build sheet discussion with a customer and sort that very info. The spring for a bone stock BJ40 isn't going to be the same as a bone stock HJ47 for example.

I run the heavy duty front springs on my bj42. I run a warn 8274 and a second battery under the bonnet. The car sits perfectly flat.

I'm in two minds about it. Im pretty happy with it but I wonder if removing 1 leaf would soften it up a tiny bit more and make it ride a bit better. But I also don't want to loose any lift.

Also I don't want to take the springs out, remove one leaf each, re install them, realise I hate it, remove the springs again, put the leaf back in, put the springs back in.
It was painfully enough doing it the first time on the shed floor, I don't know if I can put myself through that again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom