Front Speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've gone through the Stereo FAQ, crutchfield.com, etc. and can't come up with a simple answer -- the front speakers in my 2003 with nav are blown. I am looking for something that will drop in without modification. What reccomendations do folks have?

Many thanks

As far as I know, there are no drop-ins available to the U.S. market except from Toyota. You have to mod the speaker housing which is very simple to do. A lot of people have been pleased with Polk 6.5s and the 6.75s (back when they were available).

those darn Levinson speakers cost a grip and annoying sound quality.... I got the same problems but ain't going to pony up that type of dough to stealership...

So I have been living with adjusting the balance to the good speaker side and chillin in MONO....

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy speakers from the dealership.

So I have been living with adjusting the balance to the good speaker side and chillin in MONO....

Maxdog, Hks3... any nice set of shallow-mount 6 1/2" speakers will work.
There is nothing magical about the factory speakers,
They can be replaced with any decent shallow-mount 6 1/2s.

Cut the baskets out of the factory speakers using an Exacto knife.
Then just screw your new speakers into the old speaker mounts.
Here is a thread here showing you how to do it:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/405660-speaker-install-writeup.html

All you need is a box cutter and a screw driver.
This is not a big deal. You can get a fine pair of speakers for $100.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy speakers from the dealership.
Any 6 1/2" (or 5 1/4") speakers that are not too deep can easily be made to fit behind the factory grills. Many options are available for <$100 /pair that will outperform the Toyota "Mark Levinson" speakers.

Hope this helps.

So I have seperate tweeters in the top of the doors that should also be replaced -- is there a set of seperates that would take care of both the 6.5/6.25/5.25 in the bottom of the door AND the tweeter?

I replaced all my factory speakers with Kicker mids and put one 10" kicker sub in the back in a small box. Sounds way better than the old junk did. I do have a 99 however and replaced the mids so long ago I don't remember the model # I purchased. IIRC they were about $130 a pair.

I replaced my blown ones with some infinity 6022i a couple of years ago, work fine. I wouldn't worry about reaplacing the tweeter (unless it is blown also)

I thought that levinson speaker has odd impedance, thus the reason for me holding off... Am I correct? Believe it is 2 ohm speaker

I thought that levinson speaker has odd impedance, thus the reason for me holding off... Am I correct? Believe it is 2 ohm speaker

I do not know for sure the nominal impedence of the Mark Levinson spkrs. 2 ohms is indeed a lower impedence than normal for car stereo speakers.

You can replace the 2 ohm speakers with higher impedence speakers with no problems. Your amp will produce less power into the higher impedence speakers, but if the amp and speakers are decent, you will have no problems running higher impedence speakers with the factory amp.

I would replace all four of the speakers at the same time (one in each door) to maintain a balanced sound.

Replacing the 2 Ohm (or whatever) Levinson speakers with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers is fine.

Going the other way -(replacing high impedence speakers with low impedence speakers) COULD fry your amp, but in practice, this is really unlikely to happen unless you are running high current amps and big subwoofers.

I wouldn't worry about reaplacing the tweeter (unless it is blown also)

I agree with steveopike about not messing with the separate tweeters in the door pillars. but there are several threads here on mud about people who have replaced these. Again, there is nothing magic about the factory components. Any aftermarket speakers that fit in the stock locations will work fine.

Last edited:
I run Rockford Fosgate T 2652-S and T 1S652 in my doors.

Thanks all, tomorrow will be speakers shopping day

So I finally got off my azz and removed the sub and left front levinson speaker today, sure enough the surrounding foam completely dried out and went to shiznit... Going to get after market replacement, didn't realize that the 6.5 driver can't be removed from enclosure... How stupid was that from a common sense perspective. Called around local stereo shop but nobody carries 8 ohm which would be the nearest impedance matching to the levinson 6.9 ohm impedance. I got this impedance info from another Mud post, factory amp.

Doing more home work tonight online....

Worse of all I got a brand new pair of 6.5 dyneaudio 240 mkii from several years ago that I can't use because of said factory amp impedance... I also have a brand new set of Morel 4" that is in the same problem.
image-3559190399.jpg
image-3837171494.jpg
image-2369288723.jpg
image-439474426.jpg
image-2180574147.jpg
image-2011118651.jpg

What is the power output of the factory levinson amp to the sub channel? Wonder if it has enough balls to power one JL audio 8" sub 8 ohm

How do speakers blow? You turn the volume too high?

10 years old rig, those levinson speakers are notorious with this problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom