front shocks wont come off...what to do?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok here it is, I am putting on a OME J spring lift...the rear is done. Problem is I can not for the life of me get the front two shocks off. I used the grinder and cut the bottom nuts off but I cant get to the top bolts. Any ideas. I even tried a dremel (no worky) used liquid wrench, even tried to muscle the damn nut off..........still, the shocks are hanging there and I am stuck. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on this, if not, my rig will look nice and raked up in the back!!! Lame!! :eek:

nut spliter or heat

how does a nut splitter work? will it fit on the driver side since its just about impossible to get a socket on? thanks for the info and keep it coming

This only works with two people but we had one person hold the nut with a wrench and used a large set of channel lock pliers to turn the shock. This will pretty much destroy the old shock.

how can you not get to the ps upper nut?? Are you saying a breaker bar won't move it with a pipe wrench holding the shock?

for the ds bolt, have you got a ratchet head wrench with the hinged head? sears sells them and they will also allow you to retorque the upper rear shock nuts after they are mounted. I would try a pipe wrench on the shock held by someone else and one of those.

looks like im off to buy a larger pipe wrench and then see how it goes. Damn nuts!! Oh and yes, I can get to the PS nut so I might have to shield the engine bay and grind that puppy off of there. Thanks, Chans

This is what I used when a nut doesn't want to come off. Breaks it in half

5zirmx

I had the same problem a few years back on an old Mustang. I bought a large set of vise-grips that are oddly shaped and easily will grab a shock so you can apply the needed torque to the nut. It will ruin the old shock.

Hey Biff, where can I pick up one of those nut splitters? I think I can use one of those in lots of others cases.

That one says craftsman - so I'd guess Sears!

I bought a POS one from an auto parts superstore (Autozone?) and it didn't work for beans. Kept slipping off the nut. That craftsman one might work better.

I used a smoke wrench (oxy acetelyne) to take the bottoms off, I didn't dare use it up top...

Doing it solo I used a big c-clamp to prevent the shock from rotating. It crushed the upper sleeve of the shock body destructively, so the shock was not reusable. It worked though.

An air impact wrench works like a charm if you have the right swivels.

Charlie

4dmalamute said:
Hey Biff, where can I pick up one of those nut splitters? I think I can use one of those in lots of others cases.

Sears

I also had this problem. I used a small hack-saw and cut the whole damn top off... nut, shaft and all.

Try to chisel the nut off either by splitting it or hit it in an anti clockwise direction to shock it off.

I just had my wife hold the shock while while I removed the nut with a box end wrench. You guys need to toughen up!

Use the search feature. This has been covered by others as well as myself. Pipe wrench, but use something inside the outer shock cover to prevent it flexing as noted in the threads.

DougM

I second the chisel method. You can also take the dremel and level one side and then chisel a notch into it and then use a hammer and the chisel to lossen it.

Rich said:
I just had my wife hold the shock while while I removed the nut with a box end wrench. You guys need to toughen up!

LOL. I used a short ratchet wrench to budge & turn the nut; and a small (6 or 7mm) open end wrench to hold the stud. Got the top nuts off at ease

4dmalamute said:
Please let me know if you have any suggestions on this, if not, my rig will look nice and raked up in the back!!! Lame!! :eek:

Chain wrench.....indispensable when working on trucks. Wrap it around upper shock body and use a wrench on the nut...it'll come off:
file1a.jpg

Holy crap, it got it done..............the lift is on and shocks and drop blocks etc etc.........but one more thing now.........what is the trick to the steering damper??? Once again, I am having a hell of a time getting that thing off!! Any ideas on that one??

after this is done, I can drive the damn thing!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom