Front shock washer/bushing order (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone help me with what order this mess is supposed to go in for the front shocks? The Ironman instructions and website are worse than useless and my kids played with the ones I removed and took all the hardware off so I can't refer back to them. I've searched the web and found just some stock photos, but would rather not rely on those being correct.

I'm assuming for the bottom it goes [washer-bushing-washer]- Axle - [washer-bushing-washer-nut]

And for top [washer -bushing] - shock tower- [washer -bushing - washer - nut]

But this leaves me with leftover washers, and the washers have different sized holes, and one washer is beefyer than the others, is that the one that goes last on the bottom?

Thanks!

Shock bushing order.jpg

Can someone help me with what order this mess is supposed to go in for the front shocks? The Ironman instructions and website are worse than useless and my kids played with the ones I removed and took all the hardware off so I can't refer back to them. I've searched the web and found just some stock photos, but would rather not rely on those being correct.

I'm assuming for the bottom it goes [washer-bushing-washer]- Axle - [washer-bushing-washer-nut]

And for top [washer -bushing] - shock tower- [washer -bushing - washer - nut]

But this leaves me with leftover washers, and the washers have different sized holes, and one washer is beefyer than the others, is that the one that goes last on the bottom?

Thanks!

View attachment 2374055

your thread popped up on my account and i actually came here looking for intel on my install.
anyway. i just did this on my front dobinson. i could post a link to the thread if you wanted it but here is what i understand the order for the front shocks.
anything off the cardboard is extra from that one shock and the other would obviously have the same.
to be honest now that i look at it i am not sure i have it correct actually.

BD8E754E-3A35-4AA5-A796-86F7CF0C57F5.jpeg

your thread popped up on my account and i actually came here looking for intel on my install.
anyway. i just did this on my front dobinson. i could post a link to the thread if you wanted it but here is what i understand the order for the front shocks.
anything off the cardboard is extra from that one shock and the other would obviously have the same.
to be honest now that i look at it i am not sure i have it correct actually.

View attachment 2374079
That not the right order.

I think I may have figured it out. There are two sets of washers that mate together and fit the trucks shock mounting holes. These must go in the middle, and the thicker washers on the outside. The big beefy washer, I still have no clue what that is for, perhaps just an extra part sent along for a different application? Man these instructions that came with them are the worst...

20200716_184905.jpg

20200716_184929.jpg

20200716_184958.jpg

Bingo, maybe you can help hotwheels2017 a long

I think I may have figured it out. There are two sets of washers that mate together and fit the trucks shock mounting holes. These must go in the middle, and the thicker washers on the outside. The big beefy washer, I still have no clue what that is for, perhaps just an extra part sent along for a different application? Man these instructions that came with them are the worst...

View attachment 2374141

View attachment 2374142

View attachment 2374143

hey mysherpa,
let me know if i am hikacking the thread here and i will get off it.
but what is the mechanical reason you are slotting the flanged washer with the large OD with the flanged washer with the smaller OD?
i have a PAIR with the large OD and a PAIR with the smaller ID. and i got on a video call with the dobinson rep and he is saying you pair them up same ID against same ID.

ABD1F78D-E9FC-4490-93F8-019BFB4629EA.jpeg

View attachment 2374141

View attachment 2374142

View attachment 2374143

so that’s the top? maybe a massive noob question but what does it look like at the bottom?

hey mysherpa,
but what is the mechanical reason you are slotting the flanged washer with the large OD with the flanged washer with the smaller OD?
i have a PAIR with the large OD and a PAIR with the smaller ID. and i got on a video call with the dobinson rep and he is saying you pair them up same ID against same ID.

View attachment 2374238
Read post #4 again

hey mysherpa,

I mean I've never done this before, but it just makes sense to me that the flanged washers that mate up should go together, because the OD of the outside (bigger) flange matches the mounting holes in the axle/tower mount, then smaller flanged washer mates to the larger washer through the mounting hole and would then keep it all from slopping around. Maybe the Dobinsons rep is right, but it sure doesn't make sense to me to have the same flange washers paired to each other. To answer your other question, I did this same thing for both sides, so there's no difference.

Maybe the Dobinsons rep is right, but it sure doesn't make sense to me to have the same flange washers paired to each other.
No you have right, I thinking hotwheels misunderstood the Rep

No you have right, I thinking hotwheels misunderstood the Rep

dude,
i was on a video conference call with the guy and i watched him put it together. i specifically told him that the guys on mud said you slot the smaller ID into the larger ID. there was no misunderstanding.
i have a thread going with very specific questions. i have a truck ton more hardware in my kit with about half of it that is not going to be used. mysherpa is using all his hardware.
i’m not going to dump my pics into his thread but i have five questions to get my assembly sorted and at least one photo from the dobinson instructions (rear shocks only provided) appears to be missing a washer.
i’d much prefer you help me with factual questions on my thread than questioning whether i understood the rep putting two washers face to face.
i’m asking factual questions about stacking washers on my thread and suddenly you are MIA over there and being cute over here.
check the full set of washers from mysherpa’s kit for BOTH his front shocks and check half of my kit which is for ONE shock. i’ve got like four metal washers and two rubber bushings that i need to leave out in one freaking shock.
i also (apparently) have to take one or another extra pinched washers out of a sealed bag for the bottom shock and move it to the top of the rear shock. plus a one or two more factual i posted pics.
either you can look at them and answer the question or you can’t.

D9880668-0798-4129-9DE0-1AC51E718A03.jpeg

22FE45A9-8038-4D88-BB4F-7A5966A637C4.jpeg

Last edited:
check the full set of washers from mysherpa’s kit for BOTH his front shocks and check half of my kit which is for ONE shock.
Actually, the hardware in my photo is for just one of the front shocks. And I used everything except the huge larger diameter washer that is obviously for if you want to run the rubber boot instead of the hard tube protection cover.

Actually, the hardware in my photo is for just one of the front shocks. And I used everything except the huge larger diameter washer that is obviously for if you want to run the rubber boot instead of the hard tube protection cover.

got you and thanks for the follow up on my bad intel. it’s 95 down here in the evening and i was really trying to get sorted here to get out of town. apologies for adding any confusion to your thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom