front shock recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently started to hear a bit of squeak and thought it's probably time to replace the front KYB shocks that's about 8 years old. The rear set up is OME 2860 springs with the Nitrocharger shocks. I forgot the model number, should I just get the same pair for the front? My 100 is a daily driver with occasional off the beaten path, so mainly looking for reliability and comfort.

OME Nitrocharger front shocks?
Reliability = Yes.
Comfort = No.

I’ve never run the Fox 2.0, but for the 100 series, I have read reviews of “comfortable” and “cushy” on mostly stock “lightweight” vehicles, to “underdamped” and “too soft” on heavier vehicles.

I have no experience with the Dobinsons (yellow) twin tubes, but I am a fan of the Dobinsons IMS monotube shocks. I am running them on stock-ish relative lightweight vehicles.

i really wish the bilstein 5160's were not 3-6 months lead time. i have liked the bilsteins i have put on my 40 and 80. i should have pulled the plug 18 months ago. what is equivalent that are in stock now? fox? dobinson? i could be convinced to pay about 250$ per corner. i have a fully laden and lifted rig. current nitros are total garbage.

Last edited:
OME Nitrocharger front shocks?
Reliability = Yes.
Comfort = No.
Very true. I had on my 100 for about 11 days and ran to Koni Rally Raids. Too bad they are pretty much not available in US these days :(
I have no experience with the Dobinsons (yellow) twin tubes, but I am a fan of the Dobinsons IMS monotube shocks. I am running them on stock-ish relative lightweight vehicles.
Please share your experience with the IMS so far, they are a great spec/price point, similar to the Koni Heavy Track market segment. TIA

Very true. I had on my 100 for about 11 days and ran to Koni Rally Raids. Too bad they are pretty much not available in US these days :(

Please share your experience with the IMS so far, they are a great spec/price point, similar to the Koni Heavy Track market segment. TIA

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the IMS/MRA shocks on my 99 LX, enough so that I put the same on my 06 LX daily driver (and ordered IMS/IMS for my son’s 00 LC, waiting to be installed). From my perspective, controlled enough without being overly harsh. About a year into the first IMS/MRA install, and still very pleased with them.

Last edited:
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the IMS/MRA shocks on my 99 LX, enough so that I put the same on my 06 LX daily driver (and ordered IMS/IMS for my 00 LC, waiting to be installed). From my perspective, controlled enough without being overly harsh. About a year into the first IMS/MRA install, and still very pleased with them.
Thanks, what springs are you running with them? I'm running King 2.5 remote rez on my FZJ80, they are brilliant on gravel roads, but also epic in price after the 6 month wait....

Thanks, what springs are you running with them? I'm running King 2.5 remote rez on my FZJ80, they are brilliant on gravel roads, but also epic in price after the 6 month wait....

ToughDog “light” dual rate coils on the two LXs, OME 860 rear coils on the LC, and OME torsion bars on all three.

ToughDog “light” dual rate coils on the two LXs, OME 860 rear coils on the LC, and OME torsion bars on all three.
Thanks! Nice spring set ups. The OME t-bars are pretty stiff

Thanks! Nice spring set ups. The OME t-bars are pretty stiff

Actually, as far as aftermarket torsion bars go, they are the thinnest/lightest things after OE (non-AHC).

Last edited:
Actually, as far as aftermarket torsion bars go, they are the thinnest/lightest things after OE (non-AHC).
They didn't work for me on two UZJ, not my cup of tea. W/o adding 150kg to my front end I'm going to stick with OEM.

i really wish the bilstein 5160's were not 3-6 months lead time.

I debated giving these a try on one of ours. I kept seeing posts about people installing them, then radio silence (at the time I was looking). The “extended length” option was what steered me to the Dobinsons.

They didn't work for me on two UZJ, not my cup of tea. W/o adding 150kg to my front end I'm going to stick with OEM.

Just be glad you didn’t try one of the 32mm diameter options, that make the OMEs seem absolutely luxurious. Admittedly (1) of ours has an ARB front bumper w/ a winch, (1) has a winch on a HWM, but (1) is mostly stock with sliders & LT tires.

With three of the same vehicle in the driveway, I have a stash of “extra” coils/torsion bars/shocks in the garage of “failed tuning attempts”, covering the range of “light” to “heavy”. I’d be reluctant to remove OE (non-AHC) torsion bars, unless there’s some added weight. The next best options seems to be OME, then SAW, then the 32mm options.

My experiments led me to believe, “use the lightest torsion bars and coils that you can get away with”, and control it with slightly stiffer shocks (that aren’t OME).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom