front shackle mounts don't line up with springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's one...just put new u-bolts on the front end of my 74 fj40. Tightened them down and the alignment of the front of the springs (where the bushings fit) are off center with the front end frame mounts (both spring mounts protrude towards the outside of the frame mounts by about 3/4 of an inch).

Had to do some serious fandanglin' to get spring mounts into the shackles and now my new aftermarket shackles (these are the cheap shackles like the OEM's from CCOT) are a bit crooked / cocked. This bites...do I need new springs?

The pins were centered and inserted on the shackle center mounts when I tightened down the u-bolts, and the frame mounts are straight, front and back.

I don't know - maybe this is normal - advise is welcomed!!!

I had(still have a little) this same problem with the rear springs on my 40, one side wasn't that bad the other was very noticeable. Unfortunately I still haven't completely solved the problem, here's my .02 on the problem. The previous owner of my Cruiser in all their wisdom replaced the stock rear crossmember with a peice of rectangular tubing and in the process removed the rear shakle mounts and bolted them back on where ever they thaught looked ok(not using the factory mounting locations). I've reinstalled the correct crossmember, new shackle mounts in the correct locations and new springs with associated hardwhare; this fixed the problem a bit, but one side the rear spring still doesn't line up well with the shackle. In the back of the factory Toyota manuals there are dimensioned diagrams of the frame, check your cruiser against these dimensons, this helped me a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom