Front seat, half the mechanism isnt working to move seat forward. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I did a little bit of digging and couldn't seem to find anyone that has had the same problem. 2 years ago my driver seat in my fjz80 froze up and I realized it was the gears, so I replaced them. Recently the seat stopped working again. I assumed the gears had just gone bad again. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. The left side mechanism under the seat works just fine, but the right one doesn't work at all. It doesn't even make an attempt to move forward or backwards. I would like to take the entire machine apart but right now I don't have any spare parts to replace anything broken so that doesn't make sense. Has anyone had something similar to them happen? Is it just because they are misaligned? I don't get how one could be working and the other not. If anyone had any ideas of what is broken before I take the whole mechanism apart that would be nice.

Thank you

I have a tray full of spare parts for seats. Buy a silver star from @woody and make a thread about your repair, and I will send the side you need for free you pay shipping.

Clean and refill with new grease; realign the coil tracks.

The seat mechanism is fairly simple to work on. The 2 gearboxes are connected via a small driveshaft inside a plastic tube.
You will have to disassemble and inspect in order to figure out what's wrong.
Follow Ryan's seat gear video tutorial, but be sure to clean out the old grease from the gearboxes and driveshaft tube and fill with white lithium grease when reassembling.
The 25+ year old grease turns into glue and that causes the gears to fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom