Front Runner issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The front runner site has instructions which has the size of all the bolts. It seems their quality went down hill. Back in 2015 I bought a rack and while it had small spots of surface rust, the powder coat was great. Recently I went over to buy some slats and they said I cannot buy an individual slat unless I buy the whole rack now.

I am looking into a ARB base rack.
I know this is a few months old, but I just ordered a 1255mm single slat. Ordered earlier this week and it already showed up in Oregon.

Stainless steel hardware for aluminum is the preferred method in the marine and aviation fields. Definitely over zinc coated steel hardware. Always preferable to use the more noble material for the fittings as it has lower volume where corrosion is more critical. Besides the zinc coatings are typically thin and wear though causing rust. The key to stainless steel is to use an insulator between another material surface such as nylon washers and a thread protectant such as Tefgelxxx Even if unprotected, corrosion of aluminum pieces will be a non structural issue, whereas corrosion of a bolt will lead to its failure. The strength difference between 304SS, more salt water resistant 316SS and typical steel alloy hardware is minor. Bolts on accessories are not requiring grade 10 hardware.

I'd be more bothered by that galvanic activity around the fasteners. What material was the hardware made of?
That is zinc doing what it does, sacrificing itself; only that is undesired for hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom