Front Rotor Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brake indicators are sqealing on my 94 with 128,000 miles. Purchased the vehicle about 5 months ago and the previous owner had done the full blown front axle maintence with new brakes at approx. 105,000 miles. There is zero wobble during braking and I believe the rotors are true. Should I replace the pads and wait until the next time around to replace/turn the rotors? I realize this is not the ideal method but the rotor seem fine. I should check the rotor thickness...what is the minimum thickness? Thanks.

Just put some new pads on it. I don't bother turning rotors unless they need it due to wobble, and if that's the case, I'll just replace them.

Just put the pads on and go.

Just my two cents!

tim

Actually, that IS the right thing to do. Just put pads on and drive.

Doug

Is there no concern about rotor thickness? Just slap on and go?

With a major service done recently that probably included rotors, no. Even if it did not include rotors, they're probably thick enough because one of the classic symptoms of thinned rotors is they'll warp. Note that I used "probably" twice as if it's a concern you should measure them yourself since we're not there.

Doug

I don't believe that normal wear causes rotors to get thin. It's the turning that removes material.

So if those rotors haven't been turned, they should be at spec.

I replaced all rotors when I bought my 80 and after 15,000 more miles replaced all pads without turning the rotors and all is well. The key is to replace the pads before the squeeling starts.

I believe that Cdan got 100,000 miles out of his rotors by replacing pads before they wore and damaged the rotors.

Ed

No need to resurface ("turn") rotors unless
1) they're shuddering (grabbing, so-called "warping")
or
2) you change brake pad materials.

If you're running OEM pads, and replace with the same pads, and have no problem with your brakes, there's no need to resurface the rotors and break them in again.

My nickle's worth. (inflation, you know!)
LT

8)

Thanks for the input....pad replacement it is!

CDan only got 100k out of his rotors?? I'll have to check my log, as I think I've got him beat! Heh.

Doug

Douglas,
I don't recall who to give credit to, but I have been running the 100 series pads on my 80. So far they have been wearing great, and little if no squeal at all. (You have to leave the anti-squeal shims out) :beer:

Mr. Eduardo96FZJ80,
What's the difference and do they wear better? Simply remove the anti-squeak shims and your good to go?

Try a search , I think C-Dan had the part #s posted.
He also recommended a resurface of the rotors (since the 100 series pads have a different wear pattern (larger surface area)

I did not resurface the rotors ( they only had about 2-5 k on them) and the pads wear pattern adjusted to the rotors with no problems (maybe I just got lucky) :eek:

I did use some of the orange anti-squeal goop on the pads :doh:

Douglas,
There are a lot of us running the 100 series pads. They take some work to fit on the 91-92's, but drop right in on the 93-97's. They're thicker than 80 series pads so, as Eduardo said, you cannot use the anti-squeal shims until they wear down enough.

The 100 series pads are larger in surface area, and thicker. Mine were installed at the same time as new rotors. They are wearing very, very well. Some people reported better braking but I can't say one way or the other because I did rotors and pads at the same time. It made a big difference but that would be expected no matter what pad was used.

C-Dan measured his pads a few months ago and was very pleased with the miles vs wear as compared to 80 series pads.

-B-

Well, checked the ol' log and Mr. CDan is still world champeen. I was at 96,500 and change when I put new rotors on for the first time.

Doug

Dog. ;)

Rotors do wear in normal use. Mine were almst a minimum thickness when I replaced them. I never turned them. I went to 100 series pads when I replaced the rotors. The old ones were still serviceable and in fact, one lives on attached to a friend's rig. He toasted a rotor and was in a pinch so I gave it to him.

CDan,

What were you thinking swapping parts?! That's like swapping a girlfriend!! When parts die, they want an honorable 80 death - under the workbench, holding up one end of a crooked table, etc. But separating the parts from the mother? You're heartless....

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom