Front right suspension squeaking like a truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 99 lx470 and my suspension is squeaking so bad on the front right, what is this? Control arm? Sway Bar? Shock? Bushings? It's over bumps and on turn.

Squeaky Squeaky Video
20220515_110725.jpg
20220515_105518.jpg
20220515_105751.jpg
20220515_110648.jpg
20220515_110706.jpg

Could be a number of the things you listed. Reminds me of when my no. 2 lower control arm bushings were creaking but mine was only under heavier articulation. Could try spraying lube on individual bushings/joints to see if you can narrow it down.

Ball joint would be my guess, since the upper you pictures has a torn boot.
Here how to check lowers

I bet most your rubber is old due for replacement. I can see the cushion at the top of the shock showing huge cracks in its side.

Ball joints are probably also tired. I spotted the boot, too.

That video is crazy. Never seen a squeak that clear and repeatable.

I'd just start investigating bushings everywhere. Sway bar is the easiest and cheapest place to start, but count on a lot.

I bet most your rubber is old due for replacement. I can see the cushion at the top of the shock showing huge cracks in its side.

I'd just start investigating bushings everywhere. Sway bar is the easiest and cheapest place to start, but count on a lot.
Is poly better than rubber? Is there any new bumpers I can get that will increase ride comfort?

Is poly better than rubber? Is there any new bumpers I can get that will increase ride comfort?
Imo, poly is only for race cars. It's hard. Not comfy and more often squeaky than rubber.

For comfort and no squeaks, go OEM rubber every time.

Can you point out which picture could be the source?

Get a mechanic's stethoscope (like $5 at HF), lay under the truck and have someone cycle the suspension like in your video. Just touch the end piece to the bolts on all the various joints/bushings, you'll find it.

Can you point out which picture could be the source?
I honestly have no idea. I have a slew of guesses, but the first one I'd recommend to check wasn't shown in your pictures anyways. I agree with @Trunk Monkey that a stethoscope is a smart way to pin it down. Personally, I'd just start planning on replacing most those rubber bits. Safe to say none are in good health unless you know they've been replaced.

general advice:
Barn door creaking = ball joints or shock rubber
Mouse squeaking = brake components or sway bar
Metal grinding = brake pads / rotors

Have a few of your fat friends get on the truck and rock it to try and re-create the noise and narrow it down. Otherwise it's a guessing game.

Last edited:
If it squeaks during low speed turns, it's almost certainly a ball joint. The rest of the the suspension isn't moving enough to cause loud squeaks during low-speed turns.

edit - > just listened to your video. Pretty sure there's a donkey in there somewhere... and check top shock nut.

general advice:

Have a few of your fat friends get on the truck and rock it to try and re-create the noise and narrow it down. Otherwise it's a guessing game.
Mix of the top 2

general advice:

When I raise her up

Imo, poly is only for race cars. It's hard. Not comfy and more often squeaky than rubber.

For comfort and no squeaks, go OEM rubber every time.
Toyota OEM for the win. Replaced all 26 bushings in my 80 series with OEM rubber. The result was just short of miraculous. Old rigs need new parts after years of service. Rubber breaks down with time, dirt, and stress.

Now when I push on the step on the front right, there's a distinct creak that comes from the left of the sway bar link. What is it
The rubber cushions on the sway bar and the links are replaceable if you think that's where the problem is coming from. Since you can recreate the noise ,maybe have someone get underneath and put their hand on some parts to try and confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom