Front right groan..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On the way home today I thought I began feeling and hearing an anomaly. I could feel it in the wheel and after some errands with my wife it became apparent even to her. I have no clicking or drive train lash. But the low groan seems to be coming worse....and not on a linear plot. Front right wheel is the zone and my suspicion is wheel bearing. Comment's?

Was it occurring while braking? I'm guessing a completely worn out brake pad.

I would vote for lack of grease in the spindle bearing. For me, when my wheel bearings went dry, they would make a high pitch noise. Doesn't really matter. You have to tear into it the same to check both. The easy way to check the bearings is the "12 o clock - 6 o clock push-pull dance" on the wheel when it is in the air. If you are doing it this weekend, often times Autozoo will have the Timken wheel bearings for our cruisers. It's just about the only thing I buy from them that goes on mine. That and the sexy chick mud flaps.

Unfortunately, I have no where to do the work(apartment life is the same as i remember it 30 years later-SUX) although I do have the tools and ability. Such is life. Found a good shop through a friend at work a mile from work. Front left inner and outer bearings(races too) were complete trash. Front right outer as well. Had the inner done on that side too. He installed my springs while we were at it. 5.8 hrs of labor. Parts were about what they should have been for Timken. I stopped by during the day and checked out my axles and knuckles; very pleased. He even said they were in great shape...lol.
Thank for the replies.

I am experiencing this as well. Seems to happen under early load, and I did my axle service 6k ago : |

Guess I'm going back in

I am experiencing this as well. Seems to happen under early load, and I did my axle service 6k ago : |

Guess I'm going back in
How did you set your bearing preload?

I did not do the first axle job. I had a local shop do it, so I don't have that intel.

I'm trying to see if I can get some garage space and a weekend to do this myself. I'm not sure if I trust local shops, as well intended as they are, for this sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom