Front Refresh - Things to do while diff is out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
While I have the front diff out for the eLocker installation, I have a list of items that I would replace at the same time. Note that I will be replacing AHC at some point in the future with a 2" or 3" lift suspension. I would like to start working toward that goal as I refresh the suspension, then do the lift at the end once I've settled on bumpers and final vehicle weight.

Items purchased so far:

- OEM CV Axles
- OEM rack.
- Harrop eLocker with Nitrogear bearing kit.

Front Suspension Items still to figure out

1) Lower Control Arms -- most likely OEM or some 555 outfitted version. Are there any performance lower control arms offered like uppers?

2) Front Diff Bushings - I'm looking for a kit to replace all front bushings. I saw a list of part numbers somewhere that I cannot find at the moment.

3) Front Drop Diff Kit - I plan to go with a 2" or 3" suspension lift at a later date. Is is possible to add the drop diff kit before you actually do the lift?

4) Front anti-sway bar end links. Any differences for a future lift?

5) Control Arm Reinforcements - Seems to be an item for lifted suspensions.

6) Upper Control Arms - SPC seems to be the only brand I've found with the brackets for AHC (for use during the transition period) and replaceable ball joints.

7) The future spring, TB, and shock vendor. I'm still looking around on this one and more concerned about quality and being in business for the long haul. I want to do business with a company that provides a phone number. If I'm going to spend $2k to $3k on suspension enhancements, I want a company that has a telephone for pre-sales support.

I know this may be going about an eventual lift backwards by hanging on to AHC until the end, but I like to plan for my final destination and start working toward it as I upgrade suspension components.

End Goal: I plan to build the truck in the spring and summer of this year to get it ready to play in the Cotton Land Cruiser Crawl in October.

1. No performance lowers that I'd focus on.
2. Here's a video for the bushings that may help:
3. Diff drop is pretty easy to do later. I wouldn't sweat it until/if you swap suspension.
4. I think there are extendable links, but they're not an absolute requirement far as I know.
5. It's the Torsion bar mount that needs the reinforcement bracket on the non-AHC vehicles.
6. Uppers: I have SPC. They're fine. Nitro or some of the other nicer ones might get my vote.
7. If I were to ditch AHC (which I generally think is a bad idea unless you're traversing Africa, building a boulder crawler or have a rust bucket rig) I'd only look at Slee and Icon.

*8: I'd run a new extended breather line while the diff is out.

Good luck!

Doing #2 myself. Mcgeorge toyota had the best prices I found on oem replacement parts.

I didn't want to mess around with pressing in new bushings

7B36F32C-1A38-4403-BEB8-5BBD087C5E48.jpeg

A78359D9-644B-4B23-A948-0DD4F7CC6E62.jpeg

Doing #2 myself. Mcgeorge toyota had the best prices I found on oem replacement parts.

I didn't want to mess around with pressing in new bushings

View attachment 2258742

View attachment 2258744
Note that Partsouq prices for all of those items are about 40-45% less. I ordered most of those items a week ago and most certainly did not pay anything close to that! 😳

Note that Partsouq prices for all of those items are about 40-45% less. I ordered most of those items a week ago and most certainly did not pay anything close to that! 😳

You win some, you lose some I suppose. Not sure where part souq is based, but I'd rather support a local US based business.

While I have the front diff out for the eLocker installation, I have a list of items that I would replace at the same time. Note that I will be replacing AHC at some point in the future with a 2" or 3" lift suspension. I would like to start working toward that goal as I refresh the suspension, then do the lift at the end once I've settled on bumpers and final vehicle weight.

Items purchased so far:

- OEM CV Axles
- OEM rack.
- Harrop eLocker with Nitrogear bearing kit.
I’m jealous of you getting the Harrop!

Front Suspension Items still to figure out

1) Lower Control Arms -- most likely OEM or some 555 outfitted version. Are there any performance lower control arms offered like uppers?
No performance lowers.

2) Front Diff Bushings - I'm looking for a kit to replace all front bushings. I saw a list of part numbers somewhere that I cannot find at the moment.
No kit, but see my post above about prices.

3) Front Drop Diff Kit - I plan to go with a 2" or 3" suspension lift at a later date. Is is possible to add the drop diff kit before you actually do the lift?
Yes, can add at anytime with or without lift. Trail Tailor’s is on sale right now for $200!

4) Front anti-sway bar end links. Any differences for a future lift?
Personally, I think extended links are a waste of money, given most of the “lift kits” are not actually lifts (ie, suspension travel changes nominally and often not at all compared with stock. They just change neutral height because springs are stiffer rate).

5) Control Arm Reinforcements - Seems to be an item for lifted suspensions.
Cheap ($30) and easy insurance whether you have lift or not. I put it on when I rebuilt my LCAs.

6) Upper Control Arms - SPC seems to be the only brand I've found with the brackets for AHC (for use during the transition period) and replaceable ball joints.
I like SPC, particularly since they improved their UBJ design, but have no experience with the other brands’ (Nitro, etc) UCAs.

7) The future spring, TB, and shock vendor. I'm still looking around on this one and more concerned about quality and being in business for the long haul. I want to do business with a company that provides a phone number. If I'm going to spend $2k to $3k on suspension enhancements, I want a company that has a telephone for pre-sales support.

I know this may be going about an eventual lift backwards by hanging on to AHC until the end, but I like to plan for my final destination and start working toward it as I upgrade suspension components.
I don’t think you’re going backwards. All of the above items can be done whether you get a “lift” or not, and they’ll all result in rimprovement.

End Goal: I plan to build the truck in the spring and summer of this year to get it ready to play in the Cotton Land Cruiser Crawl in October.

My responses to your original post are in red in the above quote.

Have you guys seen anyone come up with poly inserts for the support arms? I see these on the Tacoma/4Runner side of the family.

1585946588369.png

1585946658335.png

Have you guys seen anyone come up with poly inserts for the support arms? I see these on the Tacoma/4Runner side of the family.

View attachment 2259117

View attachment 2259120
SuperPro does: spf3881k | Front Lower Control Arm Bushing | Lexus LX470 98-07

In my opinion, however, Toyota OEM rubber is better and longer lasting than any other rubber or poly bushings.

I ordered everything OEM from various eBay sellers for $495. Same items with tax and shipping would have run $577. Over the course of year, I buy a LOT of parts from McGeorge.

Also, I ordered SPC upper control arms.

Also, I ordered SPC upper control arms.
if you want a company that provides support i wouldn't pick SPC. I've heard they don't stand behind their product. guys with broken uppers at the weld and they couldn't care less. I'm looking at trail tailor nitro gear or even the new dobinson UCAs

if you want a company that provides support i wouldn't pick SPC. I've heard they don't stand behind their product. guys with broken uppers at the weld and they couldn't care less. I'm looking at trail tailor nitro gear or even the new dobinson UCAs

I really like and wanted Dobinsons. Unfortunately, they do not come with the AHC bracket. That limits my selection on LX470 compatible UCAs. I've heard about issues the the older generation of SPCs. Trail-tailor would not answer my product inquiry email.

I really like and wanted Dobinsons. Unfortunately, they do not come with the AHC bracket. That limits my selection on LX470 compatible UCAs. I've heard about issues the the older generation of SPCs. Trail-tailor would not answer my product inquiry email.

I just purchased nitro UCAs to go with my ironman 4x4 pro foam lift. Biggest benefit to them is they take a replaceable tundra ball joint

Saving one that I will reboot as a spare.
well if the splines are good let me know. i could use a spare too. unless it's spoken for.

im about to tear into mine too. will find out the condition of my CVs tomorrow when i open the hubs up for the first time.

well if the splines are good let me know. i could use a spare too. unless it's spoken for.

im about to tear into mine too. will find out the condition of my CVs tomorrow when i open the hubs up for the first time.

Its already spoken for. Now if the guy doesn't come through, I'll let you know. The splines are good, it had a busted boot.

I’ve encountered nothing but excellent customer service from SPC, and I probably have more of their UCAs than the average person (currently 3 sets on 3 different trucks). The only complaint I ever had was that their original ball joints weren’t greaseable. They resolved that issue around 2014/15 and released newly designed ball joints that have worked great on my trucks.

I’ve encountered nothing but excellent customer service from SPC, and I probably have more of their UCAs than the average person (currently 3 sets on 3 different trucks). The only complaint I ever had was that their original ball joints weren’t greaseable. They resolved that issue around 2014/15 and released newly designed ball joints that have worked great on my trucks.

hope none break on you. i try to learn from other people's experiences when i can. there have been several reports of broken SPC UCAs and those individuals were met with indifference from customer service and absolutely no warranty of parts. their product is kinda cool in that you can adjust it but I'll go with a different manufacturer that stands behind their product.

hope none break on you. i try to learn from other people's experiences when i can. there have been several reports of broken SPC UCAs and those individuals were met with indifference from customer service and absolutely no warranty of parts. their product is kinda cool in that you can adjust it but I'll go with a different manufacturer that stands behind their product.
Haven’t had a single one of 3 pairs (so 6 UCAs) break over the last 5 years of using and abusing them.

Also, I think it’s important to consider “other’s experiences” in context before one goes about ragging a company that they’ve had absolutely zero experience with. Toyota UCAs and LCAs break too, and Toyota sure as hell ain’t going to warranty those parts beyond 12 months. Other companies’ UCAs break too...Why the hell would any company warranty a part like a control arm beyond 12 months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom