Front Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well had to do it after about five years of clicking. Some tips that I may offer.
For cleaning agent I used ZEP from Home Depot. This stuff is potent and nonflammable. It is less expensive than solvent and took the grease off in less than five hours.
I was also fortunate to find seal and bearing tools that you can rent from the local Oriellys/Kragen/Autozone. These were the biggest time savers for getting the races and seals in properly.
I also replaced my Birfeilds which required some creativeness. I.e a sledge hammer and me breaking the cage. Unfortunately I should have you tubed it because there is an excellent demonstration on there of how to do this without destroying the birfs.
The passenger side had no grease in it which was a surprise. I possibly drove it to Colorado and back like that. A testament to the durability of the Land Cruiser.
Well on to the pics.
DSC09290.jpg
DSC09295.jpg
DSC09298.jpg

Pics

We got one side done in a day. Found some rust on the axle that we ground and painted.
The oil seal puller was a big help. 10 bucks at NAPA.
DSC09297.jpg
DSC09302.jpg
DSC09309.jpg

PICS

Big thanks to Money aka Ulysses for his help!
DSC09304.jpg
DSC09306.jpg
DSC09301.jpg

Appreciate posting up additional info that will make the job easier.
I have to do mine and know the front job has not been done yet since owning the truck. Just clicks now and then when doing parallel parking though. I'm still waiting for courage and time to meet up.

Let me know if you want some help, I feel confident about this now especially after doing two within months.

doing mine now, pain in the arse for sure, painted all the pieces, swapping birfs, painting the whole axle as well as adding diff cover and plug protection and painting the fenderwells and calipers. Should be nice when done but man I don't ever want to do it again. Then I need to do the rear axle rebuild and swap out the brake lines for the nice IPOR lines I got.

doing mine now, pain in the arse for sure, painted all the pieces, swapping birfs, painting the whole axle as well as adding diff cover and plug protection and painting the fenderwells and calipers. Should be nice when done but man I don't ever want to do it again. Then I need to do the rear axle rebuild and swap out the brake lines for the nice IPOR lines I got.

The rear is next because the pinion seal is leaking. The thing that makes me nervous is resetting the rear differential and adjusting the backlash iirc.

I'm stoked to find out there are 80 owners near by. I live by Canyon Lake and just got my 80 a couple of weeks ago. It's at SD Trux right now going through a "post" purchase inspection, but we should meet up when I get it back.

The rear is next because the pinion seal is leaking. The thing that makes me nervous is resetting the rear differential and adjusting the backlash iirc.

I might be wrong here but I don't think you need to reset the backlash? not sure on the 80's though, on my fj40 I replaced the pinion seal and just used the same shims that were in there and torqued the nut to spec, same on my 55. pinion seal should just pop out?

I might be wrong here but I don't think you need to reset the backlash? not sure on the 80's though, on my fj40 I replaced the pinion seal and just used the same shims that were in there and torqued the nut to spec, same on my 55. pinion seal should just pop out?
Good point never thought about the shims. I suppose as long as there are not damaged during the tear down it should work. I also haven't read into the rear rebuild as I have the front. Maybe another project for another year.

yup, think you can just pop the seal out and put things back as they were and make sure to torque to spec and stake the nut and you are done, i think? someone smarter than me I am sure will post up, where is poser when you need him? :)

maybe I should shine a big P in the sky to get him to come out.

Noah

I'm stoked to find out there are 80 owners near by. I live by Canyon Lake and just got my 80 a couple of weeks ago. It's at SD Trux right now going through a "post" purchase inspection, but we should meet up when I get it back.

SD Trux is an awesome place! John and Darrell are great people and there work is fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom