Front Range off road knuckle studs upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started working on replacing the stock mini truck knuckle studs on my 40 with these:
http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/knuckle_studs.htm

The kit does not come with new cone washers. The new nuts are lock nuts, so no lock washers are needed. I was a little surprised with the length of the studs. I thought they would be longer than the stock studs. They are a little bit longer, as you can see, but I would have liked at least a 1/4" more thread. The hysteer arms I have on my 40 are really thick, so more stud length would be good. But, remember woody's pics of rebuilding the knuckles? That is for me now, because my knuckles do need rebuilding.

Last edited:
I think it would be best to have at least full thread contact on those nuts.
Have you called them on that?

The picture of the arm is just to show the thickness of the arm. I haven't installed the studs yet. After pulling the arm and studs, I discovered, from the gear oil in the knuckle, that my axle seals are shot. I have to rebuilt the entire knuckle now.

Marlin seems to have the best deal on the knuckle rebuilt kits.

if the bearings and seal are good, just buy the inner seals through Toyota for quickness. all that is needed to keep the oil out.

foxfab said:
you sure you dont have them in upside down? The short end should go in the knuckle.

different thread pitch. it would be a challenge to do it.

As for the stud length, those are no where near long enough to trust.

The nuts on the left in the lower picture are self locking and the threads need to extend through the nut in order for them to be retained on the stud.

Are those nuts tapered? Wouldnt you still need a cone washer to give the nut something flat to sit on. Dont see it being easy to tighten with it gouging the sides of the taper.

The kit did not come with cone washers, but I agree. Cone washers must be used for the nut to sit properly. But also, you don't use the lock washers, so that allows for another thread. I have not put it together yet becuase I am rebuilding the knuckles. I will post another thread on that which shows a surprising wear pattern.

Bill-

What did you do/find out about this?

I installed these in a set of All Pro equipt knuckles with no issues, and will be putting them in a hy-steer set up running Luke Porters arms...

Thanks!

-Steve

They turned out just fine. The length was good and the lock nuts had plenty of thread on my high steer setup. Even with the lock nuts, I still had a couple loosen up about half a turn, but, again, I am running 38s, which may have a lot to do with that. Still think it is overpriced for what you get though.

Last edited:
Jamison Workshop said:
Are those nuts tapered? Wouldnt you still need a cone washer to give the nut something flat to sit on. Dont see it being easy to tighten with it gouging the sides of the taper.

only one side of the nut it tapered and that side goes up so its not an issue.

cardinal fang said:
They turned out just fine. The length was good and the lock nuts had plenty of thread on my high steer setup. Even with the lock nuts, I still had a couple loosen up about half a turn, but, again, I am running 38s, which may have a lot to do with that. Still think it is overpriced for what you get though.

I've run 37s for ages with std studs and NEVER had one come loose.
(and it's been apart lots so I'd know I think)

andrewfarmer said:
I've run 37s for ages with std studs and NEVER had one come loose.
(and it's been apart lots so I'd know I think)

You running a Hy-Steer set up?

cardinal fang said:
Marlin seems to have the best deal on the knuckle rebuilt kits.

yeah but they seem to have disapeared, i ordered a tie rod over 3 weeks ago now, and my card has still not been billed, no tie rod shipped, no asnwer on the phone, nothing.

This year at Rubithon, it was the year of bad knuckle studs. 4 rigs that I know about had to replace the studs. All were SOA with hysteer arms.
The arms I run on my 40 are from Extreme Bends, 4x4 labs. I have marlin arms on my 55.

RHINO said:
yeah but they seem to have disapeared, i ordered a tie rod over 3 weeks ago now, and my card has still not been billed, no tie rod shipped, no asnwer on the phone, nothing.

They've been busy. I unloaded five H55f Toyboxes off the delivery truck this morning :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom