Front passenger vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1999 LX470 has had a slight vibration coming from the front passenger wheel area since I purchased the vehicle a year ago. Since then it's steadily gotten worse. The vibration only occurs when accelerating. Coasting or braking at any speed is fine, but as soon as I accelerate I feel the vibration in the steering wheel and pedals.

So far I've replaced both front CV axles (due to clicking), had the wheel bearings/hubs checked for play. The vibration is still there on the same corner.

I plan on doing a bushing overhaul this year as well as a new suspension but would like to pinpoint this vibration first.

What should I be looking for/check next?

Last edited:
You swapped wheels, correct? To see if vibration follows wheel or not!

You say you check play of for bearings/hub how? There is also a axle bushing & needle bearing. Factory PM schedule requires wheel bearing and axle bearing & bushing service every 30K miles. This is rarely done or done properly.

You also have a forward and aft propeller shafts with spider joints (AKA drive shafts and u-joints) that need lubing (6 spots) every 5K miles. A bad spider will vibrate.

Check ball joints and upper & lower control arms from remarkable moment, but that usually not vibration you've indicated.

You swapped wheels, correct? To see if vibration follows wheel or not!

You say you check play of for bearings/hub how? There is also a axle bushing & needle bearing. Factory PM schedule requires wheel bearing and axle bearing & bushing service every 30K miles. This is rarely done or done properly.

You also have a forward and aft propeller shafts with spider joints (AKA drive shafts and u-joints) that need lubing (6 spots) every 5K miles. A bad spider will vibrate.

Check ball joints and upper & lower control arms from remarkable moment, but that usually not vibration you've indicated.

Camelback Toyota here in Phoenix checked the bearings/hubs when I had the axles replaced. Wheels have been swapped. Would a driveshaft/u-joint issue only vibrate the passenger side? I assumed this would vibrate the whole front end.

I'll check the ball joints and lower control arms.

Additionally, I'm still at stock height on the AHC system.

My 2003 LX470 had the same issue. My first advice is to get tires balance and an alignment. After balancing the tires, vibration went away. Now I hear the steering wheel clicking, need to replace the drive shafts.

Forward propeller shaft is on PS. I would expect it to vibrate more with speed not just acceleration. That said it's worth a look!

Wheel Bearing must be pulled and clean to really inspect well.

I assume Dealer replaced with OEM the front drive shafts (CV) and vibration didn't change, so they should be good.

Sorry to revive an old thread.... but my vibration issue is still around and seems to be getting worse as time and miles pass. I've added about 20k miles in the last year. At low speeds (less than 10mph) I can notice a slight "wobble" feeling side to side.

Since my post I've taken my LX to 4 different Toyota dealers and 1 independent mechanic. All noted the vibration right away but could never find anything wrong. The last dealer kept it for over a week and had every technician take a stab at it.

Since my post in April of 2017 I have made the following changes to the vehicle. These changes were done as maintenance for other issues/upgrades items but may help you all eliminate some things I can try.

Removed AHC and installed OME 2.5" Medium Lift
4 wheel alignment
Replaced driveshaft
Replaced U-Joints
New tires
New steering rack

My most recent dealer trip ended with several things tried but still no resolution. They worked on it for a week and only charged me for the wheel bearings. They tried:
New wheel bearings in both front hubs.
Tires/wheels rotated.
Tires/wheels balanced twice at two different dealers.
Changed driveshafts with a used one they had on hand. Put original back in.
Checked U-Joint condition.
Checked for bushings that were severely worn.
Noted one slight leak (damp area by rear seal).

I've got a set of Total Chaos UCAs that I'm about to install as well but the stock UCAs appear in good shape.

Accessories installed:
ARB Bumper

The vibration is visible now with the addition of the ARB Bumper, between 50-70 under acceleration it vibrates.

At this point its become not fun to drive. Between 50 and 70 the vibration is so audible that it's hard to carry on a conversation inside. Any ideas?

Have you ruled out failing transmission/motor mounts? Getting some shop work done on my 99 this week(rear main seal leak) and having new motor mounts and the trans mount installed while they're in there. Interested to see if I notice improvement.

Motor mounts are worth a shot. Out of curiosity, what did they quote you for the rear main seal?

7 hours labor on the seal install.

reviving an old thread!!! I have the exact same vibration on my lx470.. im assuming its the cv axle I replaced but wanted to look at anything else that could be the issue.. I will be swapping out the cv axle again if I can't figure anything else out

Have you checked the front diff bushing? Would show symptoms like this only under torque from the engine.

YouTube search front differential bushing Land Cruiser 100. And you will see what I mean

You can pull the front driveshaft and go for a drive with CDL locked. If still there, pull the drive flanges and go for a drive. Keep CDL locked. Assuming you have tried swapping wheels and ensured wheel bearings are tight.

If the vibration is gone with drive flanges removed, and the CVs are installed properly, remove and check the spindle bearings - if it has failed the CV isn't stabilized at the hub. They are often overlooked in maintenance but last a very long time with the factory grease it seems.

It's a good amount of work to access them so I'd start by pulling the DS and flanges and checking if anything changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom