Front Passenger seat no functions work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pullled out my front seats last summer because I got some WRX seats with Planted technology seat brackets. This past week, I decided to pull the WRX seats out because they just sat too high with the brackets.

I got the factory seats back in. The drivers seat is all good. Ever function works as it should. The passenger seat does not. 12V power is at the connector. Seat switch did show continuity on some functions and no continuity on others. Used the FSM testing procedure. I pulled the switch out for further inspection and everything looked good. Wasn’t dirty, and no signs of moisture. Also, used electric cleaner.

I ordered a used switch from Cruiser Parts online. Installed the switch....and still nothing.

The seat worked when I pullled it out last summer. It was stored in my basement that is dry and has duct work in a room with heat.

I can’t imagine that all the motors in the seat failed during storage...or did they?

Am I missing something simple?

Any input/suggestions will be appreciated.

‘96 LX450

Thanks,
Steve

So I got home and checked voltage again. Only getting 11.5 volts to the connector for the passenger seat. Checked the drivers 12.5.
Took drivers seat out and connected the passengers seat to the drivers seat power, passengers seat does work.

Hooked up drivers seat to passengers seat power, it d

Anyone know why I’m only getting 11.5 volts to the passengers side seat connector?

Is there another wire under the passengers seat I could jump off of to get the 12 volts the passengers seats needs to operate?

thanks
Steve

According to the FSM the front seats share the same power source, and ground source. Have you done a continuity check of your ground side on that connector? Are you using the ground at Bh1 to test the power also at connector Bh1? There is also a connector under the center console for that ground. Even though you are only getting 11.5 volts, you should get something to move, albeit slow. 11.5v is sufficient for most things to operate. I am curious about the ground circuit there on the passenger side.

Just because you can measure what seems to be a high enough voltage to operate the seat motors if there is not sufficient amperage then the motors will not engage. Have you measured voltage at the same time as operating the switches? You need to work back from the connector at the seat checking voltage until you find the problem area. As stated above the ground is the first thing to check. Finding another source of power is only a bandaid. Without correcting the current problem you may find additional problems as time goes by.

I’m guessing the connector BH1 is the power source for the front seats?

If that is so, yes I have continuity on the ground wire from the passengers front seat to the ground wire for the drivers seat.

i also went from the drivers power wire to the passengers ground wire and got the 12.6 volts

I’m guessing that I have a good ground for both front seats.

I haven’t checked amps for the passengers seat. I’ll have to have my wife give my a hand with that later today.

Is the passengers power wire a direct wire from the kick panel fuse box? Nothing else is tapped off of it?

Seems to me I have a short somewhere. I haven’t done any other electrical work except a LCP aux fan, winch, new speakers, DD stereo and eliminated the factory amp and sub for the LX450. None of which should have have caused this issue?

I’m not one to hack anything together so I’m def going to look for the issue.

Thanks for brainstorming with me.
Steve

So you said that you had swapped the passenger seat to the driver's side to verify it isn't in the seat. For giggles, did you plug the driver's seat in to the passenger side? Sometimes you can just have a poor connection causing the issue. Bh1 is the connector under the seat AFAIK from the description in the EWD. You don't have a short, because a short would pop the fuse. It is possible you have spread the terminals in that connector by probing it. did you back probe or front probe the passenger connector? What is the resistance reading in ohms on the passenger side ground wire to ground? And on the driver's side. You should have less than one ohm. LMK.

Answering another question you had...the power wire does not "tap off" to another circuit, but it does have several junction connector points. One of them is in the RH kick panel. Sometimes we can have water intrusion on a circuit due to a leaking windshield. Maybe check all your connectors in that area kick panel and verify there is no corrosion in any of them. Although 11.5v is present, it may have excessive resistance when a load is put on the circuit causing insufficient available voltage at your seat. Just a thought.

@thabruiser Took your advice and took the kick panel off. Everything looked good, took the carpet up off the door jam and everything is completely dry.

Found the blue wire with the black strip and jiggled the connector. And checked voltage, 12.66. Plugged the passengers seat in and it works.

The connector wasn’t loose but maybe that pin was loose? Either way, works meow!!! Thanks for all the advice and input!

Thanks!!!
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom