front output shaft transfer clunks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

Is there a transfer-case rebuild kit avail from Toyota or aftermarket? I asked our parts dept and was told no. If so I bet it wouldnt include the front output shaft? I have a Hj61 jap-spec (auto A440) with oil leaking out the front seal and quite a concerning amount of play when grabbing onto the yoke/driveshaft universal and wiggling it. clunk clunk. Not good. Tired of checking oil levels. I read somewhere here awhile ago about using a speedy sleeve to remedy? How does this work? I was quoted $320 bucks Can$ from Toyota just for the shaft!! Figured I would change bearings and seals when I'm in there. Just a guess at this point about having to replace the shaft. Thanks.

:beer:
johnny

Try to tighten the nut that holds the flange in place. I have fixed many a sloppy shaft that way. And it will fix the leak to (if the seal didnt get to tweaked).

Dynosoar

You could get lucky as Dynosoar has suggested. We need some info first. Pull the driveshaft so you can see the big nut that holds the flange onto the output shaft. Unstake the nut and tighten the nut to I think 90 foot pounds, and restake. Even better-buy a new nut that has never been previously staked. You'll need a 32mm socket. If that solves you clunk, then it was just a loose stake nut. If not...Then you may as well do a full t-case rebuild, and yes, a kit is available. Check with Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters or Mudrak.

All

To my knowledge a Tcase rebuild kit won't have the output shaft for the transmission. The problem is that the splines are worn on the tranny output shaft. The only way I know of to fix that is a new transmission (with a less worn shaft) or get a McNamara gear (I installed one) and do a tcase rebuild. The gear basically extends the contact area of the gear in the TC to the output shaft of the tranny by removing the PTO gear...

Good luck

-Jack

WOW Jack slow down, post number 3. Gettin up there!

Also, make sure the rebuild kit has the roller needle bearings ( I think they are the same as the FJ-62 t-case ) for the high and low gears. Some rebuild kits do not have them. As Jack mentioned, look at the splines on the output shaft of the A440F, if they have tips instead of slightly curved flat tops then the shaft may be too warn. My A440F would have a vibration while accelerating and after the t-case rebuild it was still there. I forgot to check the splines and when I dissassembled it later I found that the splines on the shaft and the drive gear in the T-case were very warn. To the point that the splines were sharp. Eventually this would have broken leaving me stranded. The solution would be to pull the gear and output shaft of the A440f and replace them, but to do that in the A440F you need to take the whole thing apart. So you can buy the McNamera gear (very hard to find since the guy who makes them seems like he donesn't like selling them, and he's in OZ) which is just the drive gear in the t-case with a splined sleeve welded to it so the drive gear can spline onto the usually non warn splines under the PTO gear. Good luck..

Last edited:
right on, great info. I should have thought of that first. I'll drop the driveshaft and check out the torque on the nut. I ordered a new nut and front seal today from Yota - figured I'd do the seal while I'm there in case it got grooved or messed up somehow. Hoping that will be cure to the probs.

:beer:
JOhnny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom