Front main bearing 3FE can it be done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever change out the front main bearing while the engines in the vehicle???

Thought it was just a rod bearing, but then I pulled the front main bearing cap and see the damaged bearing insert. the crank journal looks ok ish.

Just trying to get another 10k miles out of her!
Has anyone replaced the bearings? How do you remove and insert the new shells without damaging the crank journal....

I think I might be screwed but want to check here before giving in :censor:

Should be able to by loosening all the main caps (not removing just loosen) This should take the tension off the one you want to change, roll the bearing out, lots of oil and roll the new bearing in. Make sure you push the old bearing out towards the little notch that aligns the bearing. Don't want to jam things in place.

Re torque all the mains and you should be good to go. Assuming the crank is OK

Tony

OK that was fun

So... I did replace the front main and all rod bearings... polished up the crankshaft journal before, and carefully cleaned each cap etc.
Punped up the oil pressure with a slotted drill driver, re-installed the dizzy and started it right up!!!

Ran great and no more Knock for about three minuates... Then started to sound like it had a load...

I shut it off... restarted and it promptly came to a stop :mad:

That was a good try at an "outback" bearing replacement, but I now know how important oil clearances and a perfectly polished crank fresh from the machine shop is....

DONT TRY THIS under the car... spend your time pulling the engine and doing it right.

Im ready to hear how foolhearty I am.... Time for a :beer:

Plastigauge really works , I have done an in chassis overhaul for a 2f although it was a Toyota forklift . Mains , rods , piston rings, valve job . that was 20 years ago and I think it still runs !

Wonder if maybe you had an oiling problem?
Or if it was clearances...

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom