Front Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I am planning on locking the front end (as the title says) I've been looking at many different options but can't decide. What is the best besides air, electric or cable? Did a search and found lots of answers but too many to count. Anyone got some thoughts? Thanks..

I third that, my lockright is great IMHO and i think the aussie would be an improvement over the lockright. Having taken them apart in various conditions the removal of a lockright could be a lot simpler, the aussies exposed springs would be way easier to take out on the trail.

I run lockrights in front and rear with 33" tires and 4.11's. Not that all the details matter. The unit works great. Here are my suggestions. For the trail, modify the transfer case, so you have a low 2wd option. That way when you get to the top of a hill, you can stay in low, but pop it out of 4wd and make a sharp corner. On pavement, just push in the clutch and coast into tight parking spaces so it doesn't jerk around. Just my 2 cents... Craig

To get 2low did you use the kit from spector? Or is there a different kit out there. I would like to see what the aussie lokks like is anyone has a picture. Thanks.

To get 2low did you use the kit from spector? Or is there a different kit out there. I would like to see what the aussie lokks like is anyone has a picture. Thanks.

There is a bracket on the transfer case that keeps you from shifting into 2 Low. You can modify this bracket - bend, cut, or remove it. I don't have any pictures but maybe someone else can clarify exactly where this bracket is.

I have 2 low in both of mine make the front locker much easyer to turn ... well worth the 20 min to remove the plate

To get 2low did you use the kit from spector?

There are some posts on here...prolly titled "2 low mod" or similar. I did it to mine. Really easy. There is a support bracket on the transfer case shift linkage. It has a tab on the top that prevents the shift lever from moving from 2H to 2L. Just remove the tab, and 2L is available. Easy.

To remove the tab, you need to remove the bracket, which is done from below.

http://www.sor.com/shared/image/074C.gif

The bracket is item #3.

That's funny. On mine, the T-case would pop out of 4 low alot. It was that bracket I had to adjust to keep it in 4lo. It would be cool to be able to switch from 2 lo to 4lo - I just don't know how to keep the t-case in 4lo when I want it in 4lo

i did the 2 lo mod in about 30 minutes. One warning be prepared to fuss the inner shifter boot if you remove the boots.....It is difficult to get lined back up with the screw holes after you remove it. Try to remove it from the bottom with out removing the shifter boot although i am not sure this is possible

lunyou

im with these guys aussie with 2lo option.

its what i am doing when i do my gears next month

One warning be prepared to fuss the inner shifter boot if you remove the boots.....It is difficult to get lined back up with the screw holes after you remove it.
lunyou

I've had some problems with getting the boots back on also. What I discovered works really well is to set the boots in place, including the metal trim ring. Then use a metal pic and run it into one hole, worry the pic from side to side, getting everything lined up right, hold the metal trim ring down with one hand, remove the pic, install the bolt, but don't tighten. Do the other three the same way, then tighten all of them down. The metal pic tool is the key. I got a set of four with different shape pics, really usefull tools.

I removed and cut the plate today and now I have 2Lo. I am going to go with a lockright in the front, mostly because of the one in the rear. I have extra pins and springs so if I have issues I will have parts for front and rear. Thanks to everyone for their help. Ben

Sorry, I have been gone. As everyone else already stated, I just ground off the bracket and it works fine. Thanks Craig

Don't do a detroit up front. Couldn't steer AT ALL. People spotting me, "turn, turn, turn!". Me, I can't!!! Even with the 2Low mod, I couldn't get 'er out of gear. to turn. Broke birfields, sheared a knuckle, good times. Went ARB. Happy times.

Back to the original question... For on road use of 4wd and for more radical use off road, a selectable locker is a better option than an auto locker in the front end. Less steering quirks on snowy roads and less stress on the birfields when backing out of an awkward spot.

OEM cable and electric lockers are not easy to find and require longer splined axle shafts (and a full floating rear axle). ARBs require neither of these and are easily sourced anywhere.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom