Front Locker won't Unlock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to this site, so forgive me if this question has been asked already.

I have a 1997 Land Cruiser with locking diffs. The diffs engage OK, but disengaging them is very difficult and can take a long time. Last week, I couldn't get the front diff unlocked and driving home on the road was almost impossible. Thank God it was only a few miles. I parked the vehicle over night and the next morning, the front differential finally unlocked.

I've only owned this vehicle for only 3 weeks. I bought it from the original owner. The previous owned took excellent care of the vehicle, but he admitted that he had no idea what a locking differential was, so he never used it. Is it possible that it is getting stuck from not being used?

Has anyone else out there ever experienced problems DIS-engaging their diffs? I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks!

Look towards the bottom of the page right now and you'll see a similiar post about the rear diff.

Sometimes you need to back up for a few feet to help it.

If you drove that way on the street, it was a dangerous thing to do and very risky for everyone you passed including pedestrians. :slap:

Read the below, search the archives and back up a little.

Every month, find a section of gravel, lock drive a few feet then unlock them.

Junk,

Thanks for the reply. It was dangerous driving. I never thought that could or would happen. There should be something in the Toyota manual that addreses what to do if the locker is stuck in an emergency. Never realized what a huge difference an open differential makes.

The post you refer to further down talks about a rear diff that won't LOCK. Mine locks just fine. It just won't UNLOCK. Thanks again.

[quote author=97 Land Bruiser link=board=2;threadid=9909;start=msg87817#msg87817 date=1073683812]
The post you refer to further down talks about a rear diff that won't LOCK. Mine locks just fine. It just won't UNLOCK. [/quote]

Ok, well I never was good at paying attention. :D

Search the archives for unlock and I know you'll find some good info. Once in a while just using them a little seems to really help. I have the crappy ARBs so don't have first hand knowledge, but that never keeps me from opening me fat mouth. :D

I've also had success with a stuck diff lock by rocking the steering wheel back and forth on a loose footing. If you can't get it that way, try backing up and doing the same. Doing it on a regualar basis can only help to keep it lubricated and functioning.

Delayed unlock is often a result of drivetrain "wind-up" If the diff(s) hang up on unlock try turning the vehicle in a slight arc. It may require backing up a bit.

Wind-up is usually not too severe. I wonder if you may have mis-matched tires or maybe a low tire.......

D-

What Dan said. I'm guessing you were playing with the lockers on the street, yes? Not offroading and then unlocking them while coming off the trail? Bad thing. Very bad thing to do. Tremendous forces are generated driving on pavement with them engaged and you're lucky you did not break something driving "several miles" of pavement with them on. Once they bind, they will not unlock and they only bind like that when some bozo uses them on pavement rather than on a trail or slippery surface....

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom