Front License Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In Illinois you have to have two plates. The Chicago police can give you a ticket for even not having a front plate on your car just parked on the street. Now you know why the police were beating the crap out of the Democratic Convention demonstators during the Vietnam war.88 fj62 in chicago

CA requires both front and back, and can also write you up if at least one plate is not visible when parked (if it's covered like the p-car) or the number is not on the cover itself.

Enough! I gotta go deal with an old ('64) Porsche engine on a trailer...

Only rear plates in MI. A lot of people have decorative front plates here. The Land Rover factory one is particularly nice. Has anyone seen a Toyota one?

This is what i know..from all the places i have lived.

Massachusetts = 2
Florida = 1
Georgia = 1
Pennsylvania = 1
New York = 2
New Jersey = 2

-Joe M. -

Why? Can't figure out what the signifigance is. Err so if I goto CA and a trip ive got to have two aswell?

Ya, I live in SC, so I know we only need one. Down in Cola actually. :)

You have to have two in texas also...

Arizona requires only 1 plate...
I mount my 9000lb. Warn winch to those holes in the front bumper :D

WA, 2 plate, tabs only on the rear.

I have to think the reason for a front plate is if you commit a crime(like hit and run or something) you got more than just the ass end plate to look for/at. Front plates often fall off after an hit and run.....leaving a nice lead for the police to track down.

WHen our 62 was stolen it was found backed in a parking spot, the person who found it*just driving by) knew the plate number(better than he knew the cruiser)......and could see the front plate......we got our Cruiser back.

I personaly think front plates look like crap but I can see the value in having one.

That being said, the cops around my part won't hasle you if you don't have one......but if your looking suspecious then they can use it as a reason to pull you over.

MA can go either way. I only have 1 plate, that was all I got. It was 2 for a while and then someone decided it would be cheaper to issue only 1. Then another guy decided 2 was better but to continue the cost saving made them valid longer, or something like that. So I got 1 but because they last longer I am legal with just that 1.

As Archie said you need 2 in IL. I went without the front one for a few months when I got the ARB and never had any problems. When I got my vanity plates I added the front one. The last thing I need is to get pulled over after a beer with dinner because I'm missing the front plate.
In MI I ran two because my plates read ATOYOT. My daughter pointed out that if I added an A to the end they would read the same forward and backward. :-[
I don't really know why they make us run two. I guess it comes down to some yahoo in the Sec of State or the state congress making the decision. Since when did they need an actual reason to do something especially when it somes to vehicle restrictions?

Minnesota requires 2 plates. I've received a ticket for not having a front plate before... :mad:

The require you to have two plates to keep the convicts busy while doing time... :D

State of Hawaii used 2 plates when I lived there... and they were very strict about it.

Here in NE Calif, I run only one - as do many folks - and no one seems to be bothered by the local gendarmes (sheriff, CHP included).

R -

This is what i know..from all the places i have lived.

Massachusetts = 2
Florida = 1
Georgia = 1
Pennsylvania = 1
New York = 2
New Jersey = 2

-Joe M. -

Yup, need just ONE license plate here in Florida. As luck would have it, mine was STOLEN last Friday afternoon, spent all weekend dodging Police and all this morning filing a Police report and getting a new plate and reg sticker !@#$%!:beer:

You are required to have two in Iowa, but it's not enforced. The only time I got a ticket for it is when a cop pulled me over on the freeway, couldn't prove I was speeding and wrote me a ticket for no front plate and front window tint too heavy.

Why? Can't figure out what the signifigance is. Err so if I goto CA and a trip ive got to have two aswell?

Ya, I live in SC, so I know we only need one. Down in Cola actually. :)

They won't ticket an out of state licenced vehicle in the Republik of Kalifornia. In state with only one license they will. Guy on my Miata board was outraged at a $32 ticket for no front plate. He was parked at a Wallmart and didn't think police could ticket on 'private property'.

Lots of people run with only one plate out here and they risk a ticket. Most police won't pull you over for just that, but if they've got other reasons as well, they'll certainly write you up if you've only got one plate.

Nebraska... Front plates required and enforced.

I have my front plate on my ARB using a hinged TJM plate mount flipped over and realigned. It is a flip-up mount, but on the ARB it only covers about 3/4 of the rollers. It doesn't -hide- the fairlead, but more gives the plate somewhere to be and somewhere else to go when it would be in the way.

I didn't mount the plate flip the way TJM says to because I didn't want my rollers mounted on with the bolts 1/2 supported.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom