Front leaf springs shims, will I need them with new springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Several years ago I added some shims to the OME front springs to help with wandering. I am currently swapping out the old OME suspension with Ironman which includes springs, shocks, u-bolts, bushings, steering damper, etc. Should I transfer the shims to the new suspension? Or should I just install the new suspension and see what it does?

I'm guessing those shims were to correct a caster problem? Best answer: after you install everything go to an alignment shop and get it checked.

I never installed axle shims and my lift was higher than 2 inches. Drove it like that for 30 years

Luis, just install the suspension as it comes. Don’t add the shims.

A.J

I drove 30k with no shims and I thought it was perfect. I went to 4* after new tires and my caster went back to the stock range.

I was happier after, the return to center improved and the wander went away. I got the steel shims from @orangefj45

Edit: I didn’t notice how bad the steering was until I went to a narrow tire with an E rated sidewall. So because the feeling was so muted with a 33x10.5 on a 5.5” wheel, I didn’t see a problem. I went to a better tire and it felt scary.

So as you refine the truck; you’ll notice these things.

Last edited:
Thank you all! Springs installed w/o shims. I need to swap rear ones later this week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom