Front leaf springs noisy when I turn... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 FZJ75 Pickup.
Recently purchased this wicked awesome rig. Since I bought it there has been some noise in the front end, usually when turning. I finally looked into it with a buddy and the noise is coming from the leaf springs. They are rubbing against each other and making the noise. The clamps are tight so....

Anyone have a part number for the spring spacers or a better than OME solution?

Common issue with 70 series? (My 40 does not have this issue)

I hate to tear into this without some input. Much appreciated!

F7B46357-16FE-4C00-91B4-83F0FC72A436.jpeg
7D9425E9-5CE7-4F27-AB6A-0A9E8274CB2F.jpeg

@cruiseroutfit should have OME plastic bushes in stock. You will have to tear the leaf pack down to fit them.

Cheers

Thanks I'll reach out to him. I was hoping if I lift the vehicle up by the frame and take the weight off the springs I could pry them apart enough at the ends to slide them in. If I have to tear them down then so be it as it will be worth it.

If the leaf springs are the originals, I would consider new springs. But if you keep the old ones, its not too hard (just hard work) to pull them apart and clean off all the rust and dirt, then soak them in oil/kerosene ect before replacing the packing.
You may also have worn rubber bushes in the shackles , this allows the spring end to move slightly as you turn corners.This could be most of the problem.

If the leaf springs are the originals, I would consider new springs. But if you keep the old ones, its not too hard (just hard work) to pull them apart and clean off all the rust and dirt, then soak them in oil/kerosene ect before replacing the packing.
You may also have worn rubber bushes in the shackles , this allows the spring end to move slightly as you turn corners.This could be most of the problem.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the input!

Amazon product ASIN B00C1CECGS
Got rid of the squeaks with these. Had to slightly modify. I tried to find them on some of the recommended sites with no luck. Didn't have to separate the springs. I jacked the side up by the frame until the tire came off the ground. Then was able to use plastic shims and pry bar to get enough space. The back side of the spring was not so easy. I ended up using a plastic shim. Who knows if it will stay in place but I'm so easy on this thing that I think they will. I think almost all of the noise was from the movement at the front end of the leaf springs anyway.

Claw hammer for separation on this one.
IMG_5371.jpg
IMG_5372.jpg
IMG_5373.jpg
IMG_5374.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom