Front hub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help/Advice please

I have fluid leaking in the inside face of the front hubs. Not sure weather its just a swivel hub kit or do I need a bearing overhaul kit too
Any advise welcome

hub.JPG

I prefer to do all the bearings when doing an inner axle seal. swivel kit and wheel bearings.
if possible use the Marlin inner axle seal if you can get them overseas.

Marlin knuckle rebuild kit with bearings. Once apart you should definitely do all bearings.
....also buy a 200 pack of gloves

Knuckle rebuild time. Get lots and lots and lots of paper towels. When you think you have enough paper towels buy five more rolls. There's a plethora of information about knuckle rebuilds on the forum and video's on youtube. Good luck and post photos :beer:

Check out @OTRAMM ‘s knuckle rebuild videos, best in the biz.

@BJ41

Your inner axel seal is leaking. Marlin Crawler designed and sells an upgraded seal. At a minimum you need that seal and gaskets. People prefer to do wheel bearings and trunnion bearings while also in there since the cost is mostly labor.

You'll need a brass drift and a 54mm socket to get the axle nut off. There are many threads on here describing knuckle rebuilds. Not sure how skilled or what your background is. Feel free to ask more questions.

If you do not have the factory service manual you can download it from someone here on ih8mud.

Untitled3.jpg

Depending on how much you use 4WD and the last time you wiped that area clean, you could just leave everything as it is. That's likely years of slow weeping which is normal. If you don't want to get involved with the back breaking mess, just keep the knuckle joint filled with grease and the front differential filled with oil and all the moving parts will be happy. It wouldn't hurt to wipe off the excess goop around the outer knuckle every once in a while.

Depending on how much you use 4WD and the last time you wiped that area clean, you could just leave everything as it is. That's likely years of slow weeping which is normal. If you don't want to get involved with the back breaking mess, just keep the knuckle joint filled with grease and the front differential filled with oil and all the moving parts will be happy. It wouldn't hurt to wipe off the excess goop around the outer knuckle every once in a while.

i've got a trip coming up and i've been wanting to get my front knuckle job done before I go...but time keeps getting away from me...if i were going to do what you recommend - is it just forcing a bunch of wheel bearing grease in here?
upload_2018-9-18_13-0-13.png

Forcing a bunch of grease in there is pretty much useless..

Hubs can look like that for years without causing problems. Jack the truck up and see if there is any play in the knuckle bearings or wheel bearings. If not, make sure that the Diff is topped up with oil and drive it.

I would service those knuckles sooner rather than later if it were me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom