front hub grease packing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not seeing the reason as why I need to pack grease in the dead space between the front brake bearings in my 82' fj40. If the bearings are packed with grease properly, that extra grease in the middle really does nothing, (I guess). Please correct me or set me straight on this.

I just replaced the front axle hub bearing. I assume the extra grease in the hubs will “wash” with the grease packed in the bearings when the axle is spinning. Heat and G-force.

As you mentioned, the FSM says to pack the cavity with grease. I have learned to fatefully follow the manual.

Setting the bearing preload with the FSM fish scale method is strange.

6F10FFA0-87CF-4A8F-A356-217264FA2FD2.jpeg

I'm not seeing the reason as why I need to pack grease in the dead space between the front brake bearings in my 82' fj40. If the bearings are packed with grease properly, that extra grease in the middle really does nothing, (I guess). Please correct me or set me straight on this.
The grease in the void between the bearings is there to prevent the grease in the bearings from spinning out and leaving you with a dry bearing. If you review the FSM illustration, you'll see the recommended fill amount will extend to about the ID of the bearing cup, or a little more, depending on how you pack the hub.

1673966265590.png
This is a good question as you should always know both what to do and why you're doing it, to ensure both the proper procedure is followed and to prevent the rise of voodoo explanations for common tasks.

Last edited:
know both what to do and why you're doing it
If only more people would understand this.

Learn how to think, not what to think. It's a lost art.

The grease in the void between the bearings is there to prevent the grease in the bearings from spinning out and leaving you with a dry bearing. If you review the FSM illustration, you'll see the recommended fill amount will extend to about the ID of the bearing cup, or a little more, depending on how you pack the hub.

View attachment 3221818This is a good question as you should always know both what to do and why you're doing it, to ensure both the proper procedure is followed and to prevent the rise of voodoo explanations for common tasks.
Excellent reply and informative. Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom