Front Hub flange stuck on cv axle damaged splines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a sound in the front passenger side as if brakes wore out and was rubbing metal to metal. Turns out my whole hub assembly was loose, the c-clip sprung off and the outer edge of the flange was rubbing against the end of the splines at the edge of the cv axle. I’m thinking the nut may have backed off causing the tension on the c-clip ( won’t know until I remove the flange and check the lock washer, nut, etc.) Seems the only thing keeping it from falling off completely was the brake caliper. I can’t remove the flange as the splines are flattened and won’t allow the flange to slide off. Has this ever happened to anyone and how did you fix it, or does anyone have recommendations? P.S. I will never re-use my clips again!!!!

97C84C8C-D8A7-4BA0-833C-FBF614822EBA.jpeg

That C clip was probably taking most of the strain for a while, I am glad it stayed in tact so nothing more serious happened. It will all need replacing so I imagine you will have to do some hammering or cutting, maybe you could get a puller on it.

I was afraid that might start to be the consensus. I did keep my old cv’s so I’m thinking of switching out the boots etc over.
I can purchasing a boot kit from the dealer and swap the outer part of the cv out. May try a puller on it first since that flange most likely has to be destroyed to get to the nut.

Can you file down the splines on the end of the CV shaft? Will that possibly allow the flange to slide? It appears the splines on the flange and the shaft are flat and it's the raised splines of the shaft that prevent the flange from coming off.

Puller worked! Didn’t seem to need a lot of elbow grease and it now does slide back in.
Nut definitely backed off!

Filing the splines was my second option!

I had the same thing happen. C clip came off. What needs to be replaced? I put the c clip back on but need a permanent fix. Thank you.

@uzj100 , You’ll need to probably go to a thicker snap ring to start. So measure the gap between snap ring and flange per fsm, goal is less than .20mm if I recall correctly. If the thickest snap ring still reveals too much gap, next step is replacing the bushing and cage bearings on the backside of the knuckle.

Thank you. There was no gap. Tight. I will double check.

The clip that came off, had it been re-used? They can stretch when you remove them which makes it more likely it will come off if re-used. If it was new, maybe it wasnt on completly or the stub end of the axle has rounded enough to not securely hold the snapring in place.

Not sure on the clip. Does this come from Toyota? I would rather replace with a new one.

Yeah its a Toyota part. Cruiser outfitters sells an assorted pack if that helps.

The right type of snap ring plier will allow you remove with out distorting the clip. Its actually called an external lock ring

Yeah its a Toyota part. Cruiser outfitters sells an assorted pack if that helps.

The right type of snap ring plier will allow you remove with out distorting the clip. Its actually called an external lock ring

View attachment 1907509

I bought a pair of those yesterday when I put it back on.

Ordered 2 at $1.70 each. Part Number = 90520-31007

They come in different thicknesses so there are several part numbers.
Also the end of axle is really worn down, would wonder if enough meat is left to hold clip.

There is enough to hold, thank goodness.

Not sure how it came off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom