front HELP! axle indexing ring - work arounds/updates? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it looks like its been a few years since this has been talked about....Lucky you to those who don't have to deal with this....I've found a suitable slide hammer attachment for setting that sucker in place IF yours isn't deformed.....My index ring was deformed to the extent that I decided to pull it out. I was able to slide hammer it out through the end of the tube.....

now....can I get enough access through the diff drain to push up on the end of the axle to get it to slide into the diff????? Looks as though I can with 2 people.....Anyone tried this???? This has been so frustrating that I am taking small steps before I try the "bigger hammer" approach or set fire to my garage......:popcorn:

Rob M
Norwich, VT
'94fz80

What kind of slide hammer and attachment did you use. Where did you source them from?

Howdy! I know about the index rings and appreciate it, but is it even necessary? Or is it just mighty helpful. I have planted a lot of long side axles in other rigs without one. Is the 80 that much longer/heavier/harder to do? John

sourced the hammer/kit from advance auto parts. I have briefly tried w/o the index ring to get the axle seated but now have to wait anyway for new oil seal as I buggered the one I had.....The fitting in the photo that is next to the bent ring is the one I think would work on an intact ring....Any other advice/tips are welcome....I have the short side installed and all buttoned up and would REALLY not like to have to redo that.....Maybe taking the birf of the long axle (via the small snap ring on the end of the long axle) and then inserting the axle and then attaching the birf????:bang::bang::bang:
P1010028.jpg
P1010029.jpg
P1010030.jpg

Not exactly sure what u trying to do with a slide hammer. Insert the axle/birf assembly into the diff?

Howdy! I know about the index rings and appreciate it, but is it even necessary? Or is it just mighty helpful. I have planted a lot of long side axles in other rigs without one. Is the 80 that much longer/heavier/harder to do? John

I did too but it's kind of pita and the worse part it's making leverage over the inner oil seal ..

Edit: I don't think it's doable fit the inner without the birf and then the birf and snapring without pulling the inner out of the side gear ..

I did too but it's kind of pita and the worse part it's making leverage over the inner oil seal ..

Edit: I don't think it's doable fit the inner without the birf and then the birf and snapring without pulling the inner out of the side gear ..

doh of course you're right - it would tough to compress the snapring from inside the knuckle....I need that dude from honey I shrunk the kids....put him in there get the %^&&& axle in and have him climb out the diff drain......

Not exactly sure what u trying to do with a slide hammer. Insert the axle/birf assembly into the diff?

slide hammer was to reset the dislodges indexing ring which is inbound of the inner oil seal. sadly my index ring was deformed and I couldn't get it in place/shape enough to be of service so I coaxed it all the way out with the slide hammer.......

You might try this:

Remove the axle breather nipple and insert a loop of nylon string through the hole. If you can get the inner axle inside the loop you can lift the inner by pulling up on the string. After it's set pull the string out.

EDIT:

Mine is apart for a re-gear so I am not driving it. I think the breather actually screws into the back vertical wall of the housing but there is a bolt on top that attaches the brake line distribution block. That bolt hole is open into the housing.

Last edited:
You might try this:

Remove the axle breather nipple and insert a loop of nylon string through the hole. If you can get the inner axle inside the loop you can lift the inner by pulling up on the string. After it's set pull the string out.

EDIT:

Mine is apart for a re-gear so I am not driving it. I think the breather actually screws into the back vertical wall of the housing but there is a bolt on top that attaches the brake line distribution block. That bolt hole is open into the housing.

Once I get the new oil seal in place that will be my try - the breather hole (or bolt hole - I can see it coming in from above from the inside of the housing....) I was wiping gunk off that on the top of the axle housing earlier today in preparations for seeing if I could thread a loop in there..Thanks for providing some reassurance!!

did you fix it?

Not yet...next up is the string trick.... May try tomorrow.... I'll update....life just keeps getting in the way.....Not in a bad way,
it just does....

bolt on top of axle housing came out and string trimmer line has been inserted.....going get a few pair of hands to help try the install.....1 on the inner axle one of the string, and one slowly turning the pass. side wheel back and forth.....fingers crossed :popcorn:

those are not available new from Beno or Dan . ? ( indexing ring .. it's some kind of bafle ? )

You can get new ones.......................with a new axle housing. :eek:

well sorry to :deadhorse: but I tried this/that and I finally decided to just get another axle. I tried a few things but in the end I couldn't get the axle to seat in the diff causing the index ring to dislodge. I spent too much time triying to fix this. I'm just going to bite the bullet and just another axle housing.
-Juan

Last edited:
You can get new ones.......................with a new axle housing. :eek:

:eek: I was expecting Toyota offers 'em as a individual part .. I'm going start planning a replacement ..

bolt on top of axle housing came out and string trimmer line has been inserted.....going get a few pair of hands to help try the install.....1 on the inner axle one of the string, and one slowly turning the pass. side wheel back and forth.....fingers crossed :popcorn:

Hey just wondering how you went with this ?? and is there any issues with no leaks from the diff??

Worked like a charm!

Update a few years later…..As I recall the index ring just allows you to reinsert the inner axle without having to tip the truck on its side…..As far as I can tell there is no leak potential/problem associated with this index ring thing…..In my case the string trick worked PERFECTLY. (And I got my son & wife in the garage for a few minutes!) From memory…..1) remove breather from top of axle tube 2) insert string (you are trying to create a sling (like a kids swing) for the axle end to go into so you can pull up on the string "swing" and raise the axle off the floor of the axle housing…3) with a flashlight look into axle housing to insure sling is in a position allowing end of axle to go through…4) insert axle and using the string hoist it into position (I used 3 people for this) 1 person handles the string, 2nd person gently inserts the axle, and 3rd person gently rotates the opposite side axle….It was very satisfying when after about 10 seconds the axle slid right into position….Voila!

Edit….As Cdan mentioned above…..it might not be the breather you access through…There IS a bolt though and removing it DOES allow access to the interior of the axle housing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom