1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front fender rubber extensions - have you seen these?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by wantatlc, Jul 20, 2005.

1. wantatlc

wantatlc

so, if a person has trimmed off the bottom ends of their FJ40 front fenders for clearance, the only way to fill that back in would be to buy new fenders, have a body shop add on material that was cut out, or make some rigged system yourself.

Well, this photo shows someone who made some sort of rubber "flaps" to extend the fenders to about the length they were before being cut.

is this home made, or have you seen them for purchase. if home made, what do you think out of to give the nice curve that follows the lines? how would you best attach them - rivets or screws/bolts?

2. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

The picture isn't that big, are you sure it is rubber and not paint?

3. wantatlc

wantatlc

not 100% sure BUT I think I can see rivets or screws above it AND I see the raised level difference between the orange fender and the black "rubber" tips.

4. wantatlc

wantatlc

I also see them in this photo on another rig. not as nice of a presentation...

5. dustin

dustin

I havent seen them for sale, and am not sure I would bother buying a set since its so easy to make yourself. Its just a piece of thick rubber riveted or bolted to a cut fender. The curve is made by the shape of the fender itself, and they cut the bottom part to also be tapered. With mine, I drilled a few holes in the fender, and then sandwiched the rubber between a flat piece of metal and the fender, and used rivits to hold it all together.
    You can use any rubber you want. I got mine from Orchard supply, but you could also use a mud flap and cut that. Whatever you like or have handy.

-Dustin

6. Trevor

Trevor

Albums:
    Some of the Cruisers on BTB's webpage have them.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

7. honk

honk

Media:
    Nice street rod :rolleyes:

8. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Was going to suggest that BTB has them too...

Did not find them on thier site...but they do not list everything out there...

Give them a hollar...

http://www.btbprod.com/contactus/index.html

HONK-

What is wrong with that truck?

Does it need to be beat to s*** to be a REAL wheeler?

Good luck!

-Steve

9. dawg

dawg

Hmmmm....gess taking care of your junk dosn't fly in honks world............

10. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I was going to install some of those on my fenders, but ended up narrowing up the fender, and trimming it so that it was a non-factor when I installed the 42's...

I just painted my junk over the 4th, after cleaning up the rear fender openings and putting the flares back on, but it is going strait to the rocks this weekend in the Hills...and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

To each thier own.

Brian at BTB has made some VERY NICE Land Cruisers over the years, and sells some very nice products. Yes they cost money, anything worth having usually does.

Good luck!

-Steve

11. wantatlc

wantatlc

that has 2 cool things I want - those fender extensoins and that cool cargo/ice chest carrier. I wonder if they sell that?

12. wantatlc

wantatlc

yeah, I looked at their site. I like those fender flaps (likely could make those no problem - just what rubber to use - maybe an old mud flap or a rubber floor mat from Target), I like that cooler carrier, and they have some cool "side protection" bars like nerf bars that are nice.

13. wantatlc

wantatlc

why does Orchard supply have rubber like that? what is their application?

mayb you could use an old mud flap as you say or a cut up rubber floor mat? I would think you want something not too flimsy that will hold shape.

14. dustin

dustin

k dude.

I got the rubber from OSH. It comes in rolls. The application is for whatever you want it to be. Its a hardware store, and they sell it. Don't know what else to tell you.

My bud uses cut mud flaps. They are plenty strong enough. Maybe too thick.

If you want steel strength, though I am not sure why if you already went through the work to cut your fenders, use metal. If you want a flap that will push away from a rock but keep the dirt and gravel off your paint, then use rubber.

btw- BTB sucks ass. Their sliders suck ass. A friend has them and they are all bent to hell. Little effort (dont have to be hardcore wheeler) required to bend them on the Rubicon.

-Dustin

15. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    See them every day. Best pic I have. Will take some more in the morning. They are riveted in. Thin dense rubber.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  16. dgangle

dgangle total rice SILVER Star

Yeah, they're probalby one million dollars ( in my best Dr. Evil voice). They are real proud of their stuff.....

17. wantatlc

wantatlc

my bad, I was thinking OSH was a landscape supply store. how long are those rolls and ho wide?

actually, I did not cut them, they were cut and I wish not.

I do not want steel strength, just to push away and keep crap off my paint, body and leg.

as for those side protective sliders. have you seen anything else that is not a nerf bar but a protective slider that mounts to the body, rocker panel versus under the body (like a nerf) taking up useful clearance? I have not and that is why I liked their protective sliders. any better ideas? its a slick setup if you lok at it. but, open for other suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  18. Cat Scan

Cat Scan

Yep, I had Brian install these when he put the rockers on at BTB in the San Jose Days. The long ones are the ones to get just like the photos on their site. They are held on by rivets.

19. wantatlc

wantatlc

so, if you had rocker protection already installed (angle irons there like theres), could you just get their slider rails only and hook them to your existing rocker protection. since I have it installed, why buy it again when all I want is the slider rails.

20. cardinal fang

cardinal fang

Go down to Autzone. Buy a set of regular mud flaps, $12. Cut to the size you want. Pop rivit to the fender. Done. Mine have been there for 3 years now.