front end shimmey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This board is cool. Wish I knew about it long ago! Hello everyone. Just bought a 94, and it has a little shimmey at 40+. I am going the usual path ( tires, front end alignment). Could this be related to the birfs(no visible leaks anywhere). Truck has 120k. My wife saw how many cruisers some of you have and now she feels better. Thanks!

prolly not the birfields. Check the wheel bearings, tires, TRE's(tie rod ends) and maybe the knuckle bearings.

there isn't much to align on a 80, just toe in and toe out.....and unless something is bent I wouldn't think it would change.

Welcome newbie :flipoff2:

oh and don't ya just love the 82 fj40's? :D

John H

Same happening on mine. 96, 98k. I am wondering about the knuckle bearings and/or the shocks. I'm thinking the shocks because it's not dampening properly on the uncompressed side. So if the turn is going left, the left side has les weight on it and therefore is able move eaiser.

What do y'all think....

thanks for the the info. will check wheel bearings and go further if needed. BTW, this shimmey is intermittent and can be stopped by decelerating(forgot to mention this). Yes, the 82 is awesome. I have owned it for a long time and it has never let me down.

Once had same symptoms on an explorer (yeah, yeah) anyway - ended up being that the front tires were cupped as a result of the previous owner not rotating them.

Probably not knuckle bearings-don't seem to loosen up like wheel bearings.
Jack up one end of axle. Grab wheel and shake it hard up and down and left and right, feeling for slop. (lugnuts could be loose). Any Slop is probably loose wheel bearings.
Repeat for other side.

Sounds like U-joints at that speed and lessens when no load. Start by greasing them real good. Add a little to the slip yokes but don't over due it. Bad shocks don't generally cause vibrations or shimmey. Loose or bad bearings are possible but would happen most of the time and would change when turning or moving the steering side to side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom