Front End Rebuild, Outsourcing Route (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, wanted to see if the going rate of a front end rebuild thru a mechanic of $1200 is in line with expectations, including parts below from Cruiser Outfitters.

I know the general consensus is the DIY route, but I don’t have a garage and there’s a lot of rust here in CT, and I don’t have the upper body strength to remove some of the bolts.

FA9097 Knuckle Rebuild Kit W/Wheel Bearings
Includes the FA9097 components plus wheel bearings. One required per vehicle. Please choose desired brand of bearing.

With Timken Wheel Bearings - $185.00
(Fits 1/1990-1/1998 80/81 Series & LX450)
Part# FA9097TWB

Rear basic rebuild:

Part# RAK9397FFT - $160
Includes Timken Bearings
(Fits 8/92'-1/98' FJ70/FZJ80 FF Axles)

I will preface this by saying it will vary depending on location, and I have never actually paid someone to do this job, only done it myself. But I would consider $600-$800 fair for the labor, so $800-$1000 including parts. That's what I might pay if I definitely did not have the time to do it. Definitely try to find a mechanic familiar with solid axle toyotas. It's not rocket science by any stretch, but the process is a bit different than a domestic axle service.

Paid 865.54 in 2016 FWIW, Complete front axle service and parts

I know the general consensus is the DIY route,
Just my 2 cents, but there is no time like today to learn the inner workings of your truck. Plus the money you'll save on paid labor by doing the job yourself, you can now spend on outfitting you're tool box with all the tools you'll need to repair you're truck. Now that's what i call a win, win. So get a copy of the FSM, order you're replacement parts from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, buy some tools, invite a friend over to help you, then jump in and get dirty.

That's probably in line, but a little high, including parts.

Ask the these questions, three, dare the other side ye see........
1) What kind of warranty to they provide?
2) What is the proper torque setting for the front wheel bearings of a 94 Land Cruiser?
3) What is the proper torque setting and method of setting for the stering arm studs on the right front of a 94 Land Cruiser?

Do NOT give them the answer first!!!!

1A: 12 month or 12,000 miles (Or whatever you feel comfortable with)
2A: The CORRECT answer should be 25 to 35 LB-FT. Not "whatever it says in the FSM or I use a fish scale".
3A: They need to torque them to 71 LB-FT on the nuts and they need to hammer on the arm while they are doing this.

These answers will tell you if you should have confidence in their ability. If not, they may not know the intricacies of these front ends.

The costs above SHOULD include trunnion bearings and I would also recommend you get all new steering knuckle studs, cone washers, washers, and nuts. This is the RIGHT time to get those done.

Mechanics usually make money on the parts too and they are going to want to source the parts if they are going to warranty the job, so don’t expect to save money by buying the parts. Mechanics don’t roll that way.

I know the general consensus is the DIY route, but I don’t have a garage and there’s a lot of rust here in CT, and I don’t have the upper body strength to remove some of the bolts.
Reach out to the Yankee Toys. I'm sure one of those guys would be willing to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom