Front end problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I went four wheeling the other day and now I have a problem. My front and rear locker lights just flashed and to my knowledge never locked in. Now I can not turn the wheel and pull forward. It is binding up or something is stopping the truck. I lifted truck in air and wheels spin opposite of each other by hand. I turn the wheel all the way to each side and they still spin by hand. But when truck is on ground and being driven it will stop the truck if I turn the wheel. Any ideas???

Sounds like your front locker is indeed engaged, makes it a pain to steer

x2

But if the locker is engaged would the wheels spin in opposite directions by hand when in the air? I thought of it was locked they would either spin in same direction or not at all

Did you lift the rear axle and verify that the rear locker is not engaged?

But if the locker is engaged would the wheels spin in opposite directions by hand when in the air? I thought of it was locked they would either spin in same direction or not at all

Exactly!!

Why would rear locker locked make it hard to steer? It's definitely in the front. The locker switch is in off position and all the locker lights are out. When driving they constantly blinked and never indicated that they locked in. If I u bolt the front locker actuator will it come off easily?

I think you're center diff might be stuck. You might want to check that. That will definitely make turning on pavement very hard. Easy way to check is to jack up only 1/4 wheels. If it won't turn then you're center is locked.

Well on top of all this crap. I get to work and this piece of s*** blows a brake line. I'm soo over this thing. Anyone want a 80

Two problems and you're throwing in the towel?

What kind of brake line was this and why did it fail?

Also, did you check your caliper bolts? If you lose one, it can jam in the forward direction.

The flashing indicators for the front and rear diff locks is not uncommon. It does not mean that they did not engage. Just means that the switch contacts are dirty because they live in the diff environment. Searching here should find a solution to that problem.

It sounds to me like the Center diff might still be locked. That will affect things when you are on pavement.
If either the front or rear diff is locked, when you jack up the axle the wheels will spin the same way on both ends of the axle. If not locked they will usually spin opposite directions.
Even the rear diff being locked will cause problems driving on pavement.

To check the Center diff you will have to jack up two wheels on one side. If the Center diff is locked then you won't be able to turn the wheels very far. If the Center diff is not locked you will be able to turn a wheel and the other one will turn. The trans needs to not be in park for this test.

OK I tookemon the front birds out and inspected and regressed everything and could not find any issues. So I put one wheel on ground and tried to spin it. The wheel didn't spin, I picked up one wheel on my buddies 80 and it spun. OK I think the center diff is locked. So I sat there with my bud light in hand to think. Lol I remembered seeing that I tried to make a cdl switch and it didn't do anything. I pulled dash back out to look at it again and just give it a try. Bam the cd u locked when I put the switch to it. I had left jumping off when I did it months ago and I guess four wheeling in L working it's way into working again. Problem all solved and was the center diff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom