Front end noise- Knuckle play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a tapping noise in the front end. I noticed the front right wheel is towed in a good bit, and it has play in the knuckle.

Is this the bearings?

Last edited:
i would fix it or you going to have bigger problems

Unfortunately I have been driving around for a few months with this, I thought the noise was my front shocks.

The shocks were shot, and I discovered the real issue when I replaced them. Now that I have good shocks on front this issue is more pronounced

Hopefully I didnt already cause too much damage.

The top spindle bearing was completely wasted. Rebuilt the Knuckle with a kit from Kurt and its like new.

Front Right Knuckle.jpg

Last edited:
BTW- I only did the one side. The kit includes both knuckles. I need to eventually get the other side done based on the condition of the first knuckle...maybe next week :)

Yes trunion bearings your wheel could potentially fall off. Needs repair

Thanks! This was exactly the issue. The top bearing was completely wasted.

Last edited:
Great to know that, thank you. I know I have some knuckle work coming up. My knuckles look like they have gear oil dripping out of them. So much so that I was looking for a fill plug... There isn't one, correct? Just a hole for grease as far as I could tell. I'm assuming it's some sort of the grease residue heated up and liquified and dripping past some seals. Well, maybe that indicates a different problem than what you had but I"ve never touched this part of the truck and I've owned it 35 years almost so no matter how little driving I've done total in those years....stuff is going to be going bad.

Hmmm....that ain't know Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser in the video I know of. Is it a newer wagon model?

there is a better video, I'll find the link. The instructions are all you need, very detailed.

Hmmm....that ain't know Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser in the video I know of. Is it a newer wagon model?

Probably a 105 or newer 70 series based on 5-lug wheels. Knuckles still work the same.

This is the other "video"...not really a video, but still useful to see the process.

Awesome thank you....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom