Front End Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck has been getting significantly worse with some front end problems. I suspect it may be bushings, but was wondering if you guys could take a look and provide some insight.

The truck has 230k and has new tie rods and ball joints all around that I replaced trying to find this issue before it got this bad. This condition ate up the top of a new poly steering rack bushing on the driver side.

The AHC pressures front and rear are in within spec. Front height is around 21.25in hub to fender, rears are 23in.

Last edited:
The steering wheel is being held straight in both videos and the front of the tires seem to start moving inward, creating scrubbing which you can hear in the videos. This was under 50% throttle. If I give it more gas it get progressively worse

Well the issue is why is this lifting so much in the front when you give it throttle. Are the rear globes or springs bad? I'd start looking at the rear suspension.

Tell us more about your suspension, specifically why your hub to fender heights are so high.

Tell us more about your suspension, specifically why your hub to fender heights are so high.

I run an AHC sensor lift with the Japan 4x4 shock spacers in the front and King springs in the rear. Have extended sway bar end links front and rear as well. Tire setup is 295/75/16s

AHC front pressure - 6.5 Mpa-g
AHC rear pressure - 6.2 Mpa-g
Accumulator pressure - 10.5 Mpa-g

Last edited:
Good comment above on why you are seeing so much lift.

Second question, have you had an alignment and what were the specs? Scrub comes from excessive toe, which can be from alignment, or also from the lean you're experiencing under load.

Does this happen regardless if the shocks are set to max comfort or max support?

Are your motor mounts ok?

Ok- OP: more info required:

Lift Specs- the measurements for hub center to wheel arch edge front and rear, left & right

Tire size:

Tire Mileage:

Wheel size and offset:

Upper Control Arms: stock or aftermarket?

Helps to populate your sig line with all the key truck info or indicate in your initial post

Reactions: jLB
The steering wheel is being held straight in both videos and the front of the tires seem to start moving inward, creating scrubbing which you can hear in the videos. This was under 50% throttle. If I give it more gas it get progressively worse
Sound could be vane pump. Could be loose wheel bearing allowing a component to rub. Could be over size tire rub. IDK
Wheels/tires turning on their own, with steering wheel straight. Likely VGRS & zero point calibration (in ABS) need setting through tech stream.

Well the issue is why is this lifting so much in the front when you give it throttle. Are the rear globes or springs bad? I'd start looking at the rear suspension.
I have new King springs in the rear. Globes seem good and do not leak. Ride dampening feels good when not under acceleration and going straight.

AHC rear pressure is 6.2 Mpa-g and the accumulator pressure is 10.5 MPa-g

Does this happen regardless if the shocks are set to max comfort or max support?

Are your motor mounts ok?
This does happen regardless of shock setting - max comfort to firm all experience this condition. I will check the motor mounts this weekend and report back.

Ok- OP: more info required:

Lift Specs- the measurements for hub center to wheel arch edge front and rear, left & right

Tire size:

Tire Mileage:

Wheel size and offset:

Upper Control Arms: stock or aftermarket?

Helps to populate your sig line with all the key truck info or indicate in your initial post
Both front wheels measure 21.25in hub to fender. Rears are at 23in.

Tire size is 295/75/16 with about 20k on them. Rotate them with a 5 wheel every 7500 miles.

Wheels are 16x8 with a 4.90" backspace and an offset of +10mm. No wheel spacers.

Upper control arms are factory.

Any additional advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I just want to fix the issue and drive the truck again. Thank you!

I had a similar problem, and had Japan 4x4 spacers, king springs, ect... Fixed it with new torsion bars.

I think what was going on was adding so much weight with bumpers, winch, sliders, rack, drawers, and using the old (205k) tb's. Had to crank them a quite a bit to keep the ahc pressure happy.

I had a similar problem, and had Japan 4x4 spacers, king springs, ect... Fixed it with new torsion bars.

What was the problem you were experiencing? I have similar miles on my rig and had to turn the oem torsion bars quote a bit after the lift to get them back into acceptable range in Techstream

Wh
What was the problem you were experiencing? I have similar miles on my rig and had to turn the oem torsion bars quote a bit after the lift to get them back into acceptable range in Techstream

When accelerating from a stop, my front end was pitching up a lot, causing some serious vibration from the cv's and a little squeal from the front tires. When going up a steep trail, the front end would pitch up and top out the suspension. It was pretty horrible. Installed the new tb's and it was gone. I just assumed my old tb's were shot.

I have new King springs in the rear. Globes seem good and do not leak. Ride dampening feels good when not under acceleration and going straight.

AHC rear pressure is 6.2 Mpa-g and the accumulator pressure is 10.5 MPa-g

This does happen regardless of shock setting - max comfort to firm all experience this condition. I will check the motor mounts this weekend and report back.

Both front wheels measure 21.25in hub to fender. Rears are at 23in.

Tire size is 295/75/16 with about 20k on them. Rotate them with a 5 wheel every 7500 miles.

Wheels are 16x8 with a 4.90" backspace and an offset of +10mm. No wheel spacers.

Upper control arms are factory.

Any additional advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I just want to fix the issue and drive the truck again. Thank you!
My first thought is front lift height too high- (what are your droop measurements?) you can see as you accelerate front end comes up and you loose some traction on acceleration- not sure if you measured lift height at standard ride height or high mode but on stock UCA with those measurements youre at the upper limit and need more caster for sure. I'd try dropping the front 1 or 2 turns on each side so you have about 60mm rake between front and rear. and at least 60mm droop in front. Have you had an alignment since you lifted your truck? Is your VSC going off?

My first thought is front lift height too high- (what are your droop measurements?) you can see as you accelerate front end comes up and you loose some traction on acceleration- not sure if you measured lift height at standard ride height or high mode but on stock UCA with those measurements youre at the upper limit and need more caster for sure. I'd try dropping the front 1 or 2 turns on each side so you have about 60mm rake between front and rear. and at least 60mm droop in front. Have you had an alignment since you lifted your truck? Is your VSC going off?
I have not measured droop recently. I think you are on to something with the torsion bars. This all became more noticeable after the lift and getting the AHC pressures within spec by adjusting the bars. I just went out there and the torsion bars are basically maxed out. The truck does have 230k on it, so it's not surprising they are worn. Next time I take it in for an alignment I am going to have them try and get the most caster they can out of the stock arms - should be around low 2s. Appreciate your insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom