Front driveshaft grease fitting (Zerk) sheared off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing some PM today and noticed that the front driveshaft grease fitting has been sheared off! So I ordered one from the local Toyota dealer. It should be here tomorrow but in the meanwhile, I want to get the remaining portion out and ready for the new piece.

I searched for a "How To" on this but found nothing specificly related. Is it pressed in the driveshaft or threaded. If threaded, what is the thread size for the zerk?

Also, do any of you have any suggestions on how to get the remaining piece out?

I have already filed a small slot in the remaining potion of the grease fitting. I tried to use a screw driver to extract the broken piece. However, it did not budge and only deformed it more.

I could try drilling it but want to make sure that it is not press fit like the u-joints are.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

Easy out.

He is saying use and "easy out" or otherwise known as a screw extractor. Go to your local HW store and pick one up. It should fit the hole left in the zerk fitting and unscrew it easily. I have had to do it a bunch of times on my 60.

You can also drill it out with a according size bit and then tap a Allen head in there and turn it out. Worked good for me when I broke a bleeder screw.

Be careful with EasyOuts as they can be brittle and break easily, especially if they are small-diameter, such as needed with your repair. If it breaks in the Zerk, you will be in deep manure. Don't ask how I know (different vehicle, 30 years ago). The Alan Head solution sounds pretty good for this situation; good call Rwhat.

:cheers:

Steve

FYI: Lowes has automotive zerk fittings. Actually, the store by me has a rather impressive automotive fastener selection.

Be careful with EasyOuts as they can be brittle and break easily, especially if they are small-diameter, such as needed with your repair. If it breaks in the Zerk, you will be in deep manure. Don't ask how I know (different vehicle, 30 years ago). The Alan Head solution sounds pretty good for this situation; good call Rwhat.

:cheers:

Steve

Yeah don't just wail on it... if it feels "springy" when you are turning it, stop... you are about to snap it off. *Usually* the zerk remminants come out pretty easily though.

I used one of these. It came out easily.

drl40b.jpg

Breaking an Easy Out or screw extractor is a concern where the original bolt head breaks off because the threads are frozen. I highly doubt the grease fitting threads are frozen. Obviously some care should always be taken but this is the perfect tool for this job, it should take more time to get under the truck than to extract the broken fitting.

get the small screw extractors from home depo and use the smalest in the pack. if the shaft has been greased before than it shouldnt be a problem getting it out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciated it.

I held off on drilling out the broken fitting until I picked up the grease fitting from Toyota today...

Well, the parts guy ordered me the wrong one! He had one for the u-joint waiting for me! Jeez

Oh well, it should be in tomorrow. So I will confirm the thread size before drilling.

you don't have to drill, if you look the broken off grease nipple should have left the threads in there with the hole for the grease to pass through in them. Just stick a small screw extractor that fits in there and turn it out... then you'll have the threads in your hand.

No need for a screw extractor at all.

If this ever happens to anyone just tap a Torx T-15 bit into the zerk fitting and use a small ratchet to gently remove and install the new Toyota zerk with a 7mm 6-point socket.

Here's a pic of the part number tag too.
FZJ80 DS grease fitting.jpg

Just went through this myself...sheared off the zerk on the rear driveshaft. Figured I'd report here the size since in my searching for the size/pitch I came up empty handed and had to do some trial and error until I found the correct size....anyway all that to say it's size/pitch is M6/1.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom