Front Driveline from a Mini?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
So after a several :banana: :banana: :banana: job of cutting and turning the front axle..(I didn't do it, but had it done by W) I now need a CV for the front driveline to try and reduce vvvvibbbration when driven on the street with front end engaged. (Kinda nice for winter ya' know. ::)) Has anyone used a minitruck front DL from like a late 90's model and just lengthened the tube as required?? I'm sure I'd need to redrill the flange somehow, but will that work?? How's about it? Anybody done this apparently "cheap" fix??

how much did it cost you to have the axle cut and turned ? i am in the middle of trying to do it myself but haveing a hard time.thanks for any info you can give me

Over the Hill 4X4 in Portland Oregon did it. was right around 2 bills plus shipping. He used my core housing though.

W did mine too. I haven't had any problems with vibrations, except when I turn with the locker engaged. That's to be expected. The vibrations might be a bearing the transfer case?

Nah, I think the t-case bearings are fine...The ujoints are now out of phase with each other cause the pinion points toward the T-case flange....that's why I need a CV ;)..I just don't wanna pay big $$ for one if I don't have to. ::)

It is a 78' 40, so I think the flanges are large....??

HJ60 came with a double cardan front shaft but has the small
flanges. I used one on my FJ62 when I did the SOA.
The Hilux (mini) Shaft can be used and has Greater flex in the uni's
The flanges are easy to change they nearly all fit each other
The HJ60 shaft is common in OZ and I think Canada But I'm
not sure about The US

Hmmm, I don't think there are any HJ-60s normally in the US, unless they have been imported specially. I wonder if the FJ-60 or 62 front shaft would work?? At any rate, it might only need to have the flange re-drilled to fit my flange.

Thanks for the ideas.

i am in the middle of trying to rotate my front axle but haveing a hard time scared of cutting too deep ,i am thinking of useing a big crow bar to try to twist the thing ,any ideas?also thinking about putting bigger birfields in so i will have to do some grinding,i have a 76fj any ideas?

[quote author=hendo link=board=1;threadid=5066;start=msg41034#msg41034 date=1063515982]
i am in the middle of trying to rotate my front axle but haveing a hard time scared of cutting too deep ,i am thinking of useing a big crow bar to try to twist the thing ,any ideas?also thinking about putting bigger birfields in so i will have to do some grinding,i have a 76fj any ideas?
[/quote]
Use a big pipe and just stick it through the king pin bearing holes and twist. Make sure you leave some old bearing races in there for the pipe to push against!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom