front drive shaft turning in 2wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, i realized my front drive shaft is turning in 2wd, the 4wd light is not on and switching the solenoid lines didnt help, any advice?

srry if this has been covered before, i searched but couldnt find anything relevant to my particular situation.

Switch the hubs from "Lock" to "Free." That will isolate the wheels from the driveshafts.

mostly,
The front ds can spin on its own without the front hubs locked...

How are you identifying this btw?

hubs have been unlocked, if th 4wd light is not on, is it completely dark as in not lit at all or does have a green glow to it?

GLTHFJ60 said:
True but it is not driven if the hubs are free. It spins freely, right?
yep...

How did you figure out the ds was spinning???

HAve you tried to turn the ds while the truck is in gear?

i looked at it while i had someone drive it back and forth slowly

what do you mean have i tried to turn it while it was in gear? what would that do?

Have you tried to get under there and turn the DS by hand???

Jack up the front end till the tires are off the ground.

Spin them and look to see if the DS spins..

i think im gonna have to wait till tomorrow to do that, tired out had like 5 hours of sleep past 2 nights combined..midterms..

but can anyone tell me if the 4wd indicator light should light up green all the time, its not the actually 4wd letters that are lit up, its just in the background. its not visible in the day time really just at night. when i put the key in the background lights up green and stays green until i take the key out. Does this mean the light is on? If it is not on should it be completely dark and not lit up at all?

Bryan062087 said:
....hubs have been unlocked....

Take the dial caps off, and I bet you will find them full of grease, and still locked in position...

Clean all the grease out, put a VERY LIGHT COATING on them, and put it back together.

Good luck!

-Steve

if the light is on at all than the car is in 4wd. Mine was stuck in 4wd recently because one of the vacuum lines rusted through. very easy fix actually and cheep too

this is correct. if the 4wd light does not change your stuck in 4wd. some reasons you might be stuck are the vacuum solenoids on the firewall, leaky vacuum line, bad vacuum diaphram on transfer case, the electrical from the 4wd switch to the vacvuum solenoids, or internal transfer case issues.

Bryan062087 said:
srry just to make sure, so the 4wd indicator light should be pitch dark all the time if 4wd is not engaged?

The indicator light in the dash should only be on when you are in 4wd.
The 4wd selector switch is back-lit (so you can select 4wd in the dark) and visibly brightens when 4wd selected

ed

Just been out and checked my dash and I have backlighting only to the 4WD switch.

The separate 4WD light above the switch only lights up when I push the switch in to select 4WD. My guess is that you are stuck in 4WD

Hope this helps
Andrew

Poser said:
Take the dial caps off, and I bet you will find them full of grease, and still locked in position...

Clean all the grease out, put a VERY LIGHT COATING on them, and put it back together.

Good luck!

-Steve

I second this.... although I am kind of confused as to what the dash indicator is actually doing. I'm in Memphis if you need a hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom