front drive shaft tooo short?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by lowtideride, Nov 25, 2003.

1. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    so now the front of my fj-60 is sprung over with two inch shackle lift and the springs are pretty flat {not totally} i got about a 7 to 8 inch lift on the front and it looks like my drive shaft is a lil too short..the teeth on the drive shaft are showing about 1/2 to 3/4 of teeth are showing..anyone know if this is too short because others said they had no problem...if it is a lil too short could i just get a spacer? if so anyone know where to get them?

thanks-al

2. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    does anyone elses drive shaft looks like that? can you still wheel in 4 wheel like that?

3. cruzer

cruzer

Ah yes well now that you have gotten your truck SOA you are deffinitly going to need to get a new front drive shaft. You should be able to take the one you have to a shop and get in lengthened ~100.00 bucks. BUT you may still run into problems at full articulation were you need a long travel shaft. There are a couple things you can do one is to buy a new driveshaft from some place like tom woods or high angle driveline
    or you can make a square front drive shaft...this would not be a good option on a daily driver or if you need to go very fast in 4wd...but it's cheap...

Stew

4. Archengine

Archengine SILVER Star

I had to lengthen mine around 4 inches for a spring swap on my 40. I had a local machine shop weld in a tube that had an ID the same as the OD. Cut your tube, and welded it in for $15. But it's not balanced, that was another $10, but for the front, I figured it wasn't worth it. So far so good. However, if you would rather, I have my old 7/8ths inch aluminum spacer that I used to use. If your interested, contact me. Best of luck either way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.