1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front drive shaft tooo short?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by lowtideride, Nov 25, 2003.

1. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    so now the front of my fj-60 is sprung over with two inch shackle lift and the springs are pretty flat {not totally} i got about a 7 to 8 inch lift on the front and it looks like my drive shaft is a lil too short..the teeth on the drive shaft are showing about 1/2 to 3/4 of teeth are showing..anyone know if this is too short because others said they had no problem...if it is a lil too short could i just get a spacer? if so anyone know where to get them?

thanks-al

2. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    does anyone elses drive shaft looks like that? can you still wheel in 4 wheel like that?

3. cruzer

cruzer

Ah yes well now that you have gotten your truck SOA you are deffinitly going to need to get a new front drive shaft. You should be able to take the one you have to a shop and get in lengthened ~100.00 bucks. BUT you may still run into problems at full articulation were you need a long travel shaft. There are a couple things you can do one is to buy a new driveshaft from some place like tom woods or high angle driveline
    or you can make a square front drive shaft...this would not be a good option on a daily driver or if you need to go very fast in 4wd...but it's cheap...

Stew

4. Archengine

Archengine

I had to lengthen mine around 4 inches for a spring swap on my 40. I had a local machine shop weld in a tube that had an ID the same as the OD. Cut your tube, and welded it in for $15. But it's not balanced, that was another $10, but for the front, I figured it wasn't worth it. So far so good. However, if you would rather, I have my old 7/8ths inch aluminum spacer that I used to use. If your interested, contact me. Best of luck either way.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">