Front drive shaft removal questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, trying to take it out to save som gas and just to see what it handles like in 2wd. Problem is removal of the front. Am I just suposed to unbolt it? Is the bolt welded to the flange or just passes through? I am trying to remove the nut on the back of the bolt and it is stripping (using 14mm), is that the right size? Should I use some PB blaster? Is an open ended wrench insufficient?

Sorry for this dumbass question, but it just isn't going as smooth as I assumed it would.

Bolts pass through. Use 6-pt wrench/socket. Impact even better.

Good luck. You live in the rust belt?

The diff end has bolts and nuts, the transfer end has pressed in studs and nuts. 3/8" impact, 6" extension and 14mm socket, zip, zip, done!:D

alkaline747trio said:
Should I use some PB blaster?

Yes; makes a HUGE difference. That and what everyone else said.

Oh, and don't forget to lock the center diff before you try to go anywhere. And, when you DO forget, don't forget to put the tranny in neutral before hitting the button. And when you forget to do THAT, don't worry, It'll sound terrible for a moment, but you probably didn't hurt anything! :D

Curtis

What do I use to hold the nut on the diff. end? Just and open end wrench? The t-case end came off fine, just issues with the diff. end.

Rust belt? Not now, but the truck spent 2 years in the mountains of VA.

Thanks for the help guys, will tackle this sometime tomorrow, impact wrench for sure!

Tools R Us said:
The diff end has bolts and nuts, the transfer end has pressed in studs and nuts. 3/8" impact, 6" extension and 14mm socket, zip, zip, done!:D

Kevin's got it. I've removed my driveshafts so many times i could probably do it with my eyes closed now. If it's stripping put some PB blaster on it and let it sit for a day then go back at it.

CJF said:
Oh, and don't forget to lock the center diff before you try to go anywhere. And, when you DO forget, don't forget to put the tranny in neutral before hitting the button. And when you forget to do THAT, don't worry, It'll sound terrible for a moment, but you probably didn't hurt anything! :D

Curtis

Hmmm, I have used the CDL at various speeds and never have a problem or noise....

I know to lock the CDL, did it before I even started to take the shaft out. I will hop over to my buddy's house with the impact wrench after it soaks in PB tonight and most of tomorrow and see what damage I can do. IF I happen to strip a nut or bolt, what size are they so I can run over to Lowes and get a few spares?

Thanks for the help, glad to know I wasn't gonna mess anything up other than maybe stripping a nut or bolt head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom