Front Drive Shaft Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I removed my front driveshaft for cleaning painting and universal replacement.

So I separated the sliding yoke from the driveshaft so I could clean the old grease from the splines. While cleaning the recess at the base splines at the sliding yoke, I saw some sort of felt packing. I used a pick and removed it which went 360 degrees around the shaft.

I'm in the process of obtaining some Toyota repair manuals but currently only have a Haynes Manual. While scoping out the exploded diagram of the drive shaft, I did not see and type of packing.

Anyone seen this before? I'm wondering if this factory or a PO addition.

I believe the felt is there to keep grease in and debris out and is OEM. The big question now is, do you have a new one to replace it and if not is the old one in good enough shape to be put back in?

Thanks for the reply fellows.

So the felt washer (I reckon that's what it is) was torn all to pieces. It actually came out in shreds. It would be no problem to fabricate one.

A washer to seal the splines from debris and aid in keeping the grease in makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again.

John

You did mark the slip yoke so it can go back on the drive line in same orientation, correct?

Yes Sir, everything was properly marked. However, I'll probably get both drive shafts balanced while I'm doing my restoration. I've already found mismatched bolts and non-OEM flange nuts on the slide yoke as well as the universal joint flange yoke. Good news is none of the bolt holes on the flanges were wallowed-out due to the bolts. I'll hit the local Toyota dealership next week for the proper fasteners.

I bought my rig with a variety of later model parts on it. Here's the problem, I'm not sure that the previous owner(s) properly orientated anything on this 1971 Heinz 57. Its has a 4-speed, gray roll bar, small series jump seats and how about ambulance doors. These may be the incorrect parts but at least the rust is all factory original. I enjoy doing restorations so Ill make the best with what I have.

Think I found out some info on the propeller shaft felt o-ring I was asking about.

4 sp Install Drive Shafts
IMG_1673.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom