Front drive shaft double cardan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone got experience with modifying their front driveshaft with a double cardan on their 70 series?

What did you use?

Driveshaft shop mod ? or is it possible to replace the ome yoke with the a suitable double cardan?

A previous owner had modified my '86 BJ70 with a double on the front drive shaft. I have not had an issue with it so I have modified it back. The drive flanges were also modified to what appeared to be a min-truck pattern. When I had the u-joints replaced and the shaft re-balanced, the shop confirmed that the parts were identical to those in a mini-truck.

Either a mini-truck drive shaft was selected because it was available or it was selected to provide additional clearance to the cross-member. When I bought the truck, there was no mention of this mod so the history chain on why was lost. Sorry for the partial answer.

Some 60 series came with a double Cardan joint. I couldn't find one so went with a rear Toyota Tacoma/Hilux Double Cardan.... which I think is the same as a Spicer 1330... but don't quote me on that. Custom length via driveshaft shop.

Some 60 series came with a double Cardan joint. I couldn't find one so went with a rear Toyota Tacoma/Hilux Double Cardan.... which I think is the same as a Spicer 1330... but don't quote me on that. Custom length via driveshaft shop.
Thanks hoser, this good stuff to gather for the collective. So some 60's had stock double cardans. if none of the 60s guys see this post, may have to nudge them over there who has them which models and years.

I just sent off for a quote from a driveshaft quote but if something stock is interchangeable that would be sweet.

I have done this, yes. I made a custom drive shaft for a BJ42 that had a Marlin Toybox installed with 60 series axles. I used double cardans on both the front and rear axles. The donor units came from 60 series donor vehicles. I eventually wore out one of those double cardans, and it was challenging to find replacement parts locally. I had to use the over-seas vendors to get all the fancy double cardan do-dads. Then I had to make my own tooling and adapters to press out all the parts from the yokes. then I decided I was going to just take everything to a drive-shaft shop.

Has anyone got experience with modifying their front driveshaft with a double cardan on their 70 series?

What did you use?

Driveshaft shop mod ? or is it possible to replace the ome yoke with the a suitable double cardan?
I did precisely what you're talking about. after i put in a 2" lift (TT parabolics and front end) i had vibrations and u-joints getting smoked after only a couple of months. A friend recommended frankensteining the dc from an 80 series onto my own prop shaft (others have said the 80's never had dc's... i don't know). lots of cutting and welding and balancing (in panama sometimes things are done well, other times not so much). in the end it worked, and makes a fun story, including sourcing the dc from the middle of nowhere in the Darien.

that said, i didn't know an outfit like Tom Wood's existed and i would've gone for one of their custom props and saved a ton of time and hassle.

note: terrain tamer and many folks have said the little bit of lift i got from the new suspension kit shouldn't have affected anything. well, it did, almost instantly, and i suspect more than anything it may be due to suddenly changing angles in the drive train of a 20 year old car that's lived in the tropics its whole life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom