Front Disk Kit, Whose should I go with? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm ready to switch over to front disks. Any opinions on whose kit I should buy? 1975 FJ40. &nbsp:Doing it myself is possible, finding the parts and modifying is not. I need to buy the kit as complete as possible.

Thanks in advance

Straylight.

Yes, I know you said you won't be able to find parts, but regardless do it yourself... w/ early 80s mini-truck parts. You should be able to find mini-truck axles virtually everywhere, while finding LC discs would be a little harder. See if you can find a whole mini-truck front axle and it makes for an easy swap.

jm

Back when I was a kid ;) I had considered SOR's kit, then got a little older and wiser (2 months worth) and realized what a rip that was. The absolute easiest way is to go find a working disc front axle from an FJ40 and just slap that sucker on. &nbsp:Depending on where you live you should be able to find one for less than SOR's $850. Entire parts trucks with working front axles can be had for less than that. Just open your eyes.

I'm swapping the knuckles on my 77 front axle this weekend to minitrucks, along with a hi-steer setup. One of the may issues with the disc conversion kits from the vendors is most don't address the weak 6-spline birfield. You gain discs, and still break axles.

I'm ready to switch over to front disks. Any opinions on whose kit I should buy? 1975 FJ40. &nbsp:Doing it myself is possible, finding the parts and modifying is not. I need to buy the kit as complete as possible.

Thanks in advance

Straylight.

I've got a complete 1977 fj40 disc front end sitting in my garage that I'll sell for half the price of the SOR kit. The only problem would be getting it to you depending on where you live (I'm in Houston).

-mike.
frismanis@yahoo.com

Mini truck is the cheapest. Even with new rotors, calipers, bearings seals, you can do it less than half of SOR's price. You get the good Asin hubs, bigger knuckle bolt pattern and bigger birfs as a bonus!

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but $425 for a 77 axle? Is everything NEW on it? Notice that's what Woody is removing from his Cruiser.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but $425 for a 77 axle? Is everything NEW on it? Notice that's what Woody is removing from his Cruiser.

$400 doesn't seem out of line. From what I've seen complete cruiser disc front ends range from $350 that need rebuild, to around $500. Plus, the kits are $850 and you still are left with 6 spline birfs.

It really comes down to what the cruiser owner is going for. Some want to stay all cruiser. That is why you see rediculous prices on eBay.

I guess i'm too soft, sold 2 in the last year for less than $200, complete. Must be a market specific thing.

Mini Truck is the best deal for the $$$. I just finished my conversion and it was a lot easier than I thought. Here is a price list:
Knuckles '80 Toy truck=$100
Gasket Kit=$29
'86 4Runner Calipers (loaded) @ NAPA=$61ea/$122 total
'81 LC FJ40 Rotors @ Kragen=$51ea/$102 total
'79 LC FJ40 Steering Arms=$100
Misc parts(brake lines, fluid, grease,rags,etc...)=$25
Total spent............................$478
What you get for this is a butt load of braking power and everything is new. I had the option of swapping in a '78 LC front axle. The axle was $650, then buy the rebuilt calipers, replace/resurface the rotors, buy the knuckle rebuild kit and the price would have quickly reached $800+++. I chose the parts carefully (with the help of IH8MUD.COM's archives) and now have the larger pistons in the calipers, vented rotors, and steering arms that fit my old tie rod ends. Everything bolts up with no fabricating,(except grinding on the axle) and I am very happy.

HTH
Randy <><

Mini Truck is the best deal for the $$$.  I just finished my conversion and it was a lot easier than I thought.  Here is a price list:
Knuckles '80 Toy truck=$100
Gasket Kit=$29
'86 4Runner Calipers (loaded) @ NAPA=$61ea/$122 total
'81 LC FJ40 Rotors @ Kragen=$51ea/$102 total
'79 LC FJ40 Steering Arms=$100
Misc parts(brake lines, fluid, grease,rags,etc...)=$25
Total spent............................$478

HTH
Randy <><

As another data point, I went this route with my fj25:

* used '81 toy front end, $120
* used '93 V6 mini calipers, $90
* OEM caliper rebuild kit, ~$25 (I forget)
* new fj60 rotors, $60
* new Aisin '93 mini master, ~$65
* knuckle rebuild kit, $80
* knuckle arm taper inserts, $25
* new brake lines & hoses

Sold mini diff for $50. IMO you should go with V6 calipers and matching master cylinder, which is '88 or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom