Front Disk Brake Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, I am gettin ready to put a 1979 disk axle on my cruiser. Well I don't have the calipers for it. What are my options? Do I have to put toyota calipers on there or can I go with something else. The toyota ones are expensive as all get out, not tryin to be cheap but just lookin for something less expensive. If I have to use toyota ones then I'll just have to save up for em. Thanks for the help.

Chuck

I bought a set of remain Napa calipers for my '79 axle. About $80, come loaded with pads. You may want to look into the larger 4runner calipers.

The biggest expense are the rotors for '79-'82. These years have a rotor that bolts to the hub with 8 bolts only for this purpose. After this year, all rotors are held in place by the lugs, with I think two other bolts. The rotors for these odd years are like $70 a piece aftermarket, whereas the later style can be had for almost $10 a piece. (www.rockauto.com). To switch styles, you need an FJ60 hub. Everything else (bearings, lockout etc) will swap to the FJ60 hub.

yeah luckily I do have the rotors and looks like I have one or 2 more turns out of it. Is Remain the brand of napa calipers? Thanks

The rotor for the 08/75-07/80 are the ones that are retained by six bolts, and do not require you to press out the studs to change the rotor...and could be more expensive, as they are not as common as the later rotor, that was used on the 60 series, along with the later 40 series...

You could use a mini truck hub also...

:beer:

CruisinTiger said:
Is Remain the brand of napa calipers? Thanks

Reman= Remanufactured....

:beer:

Whoops, yep I screwed the dates.

Reman- as in remanufactured. Not OEM toyota. Not the best, but works fine.

They will almost certainly want your old calipers badly, as in core charge above the price of the reman calipers themselves.

lol....thought that was a wierd brand name..remain. Yeah it may end up costin me more in the long run with no cores. but I'll run by there tomorrow and see what they have. Keep the suggestions coming though. Thanks

92 V6 4runner calipers....get them, and be done with front brakes....those calipers are good to a 38.5" tire for sure...

Are those 4 runner calipers as good or better than FJ60 calipers?

Better.

The four pistons in the V6 4Runner caliper are all the same size.

The 40 and 60 series calipers have two large and two small pistons in each.

The stopping power is noticable in the vehicles that I have operated with them installed.

Good luck!

-Steve

Hmmm, might have to keep an eye out for some of those. Thanks. :D

cool deal I figured there was a something out there that I could use. Hopefully they aren't the price that the LC one's are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom